Logo

Check Engine Light 2002 Johnson 175

tfasano

"after driving for about a hal

"after driving for about a half hour, then sitting for a half hour or so, the light comes on upon restart. I was told by a mechainc its either a pin whole in the fuel system or a clogged screan on the syphon tube so I replaced the entire system. Everything from the syphone tube, all hoses, water seperator, primer pump, and fuel filter only to find the check engine light coming back on again... Can the problem be in the computer? or a sensor? Or do you think the fuel pump is bad? or the exhaust hose for the fuel tank somehow clogged or restricted??"

"Tom, That light usually means

"Tom, That light usually means that the gas supply is restricted. Is the water seperator empty of water? When they fill up with water, they restrict the gas flow. Is it new or has it functioned properly in the past?"

"Chris, Thanks for the respon

"Chris, Thanks for the response. I'm pretty sure it's not the water seperator as that was replaced last week. I'm thinking it might be a clogged vent. I'm going to run down to the boat first chance i get and check it out."

"check vacum switch (gray&

"check vacum switch (gray) if good, use another sys ck gauge if the light comes on then your problem is the charge coil spiking voltage happened to me once , it took few weeks of boat rides, wiring harnesses and finaly a third generation omc service tech girl named bonnie from brp said she had seen it happen
"(charge coil) once before, solved my troubles, well my customers!!"

"Tom, J-L-I thinks you have a

"Tom, J-L-I thinks you have a bad voltage regulator, causing the idiot light to be activated. You might check the voltage to be sure, however I think that either your vacuum switch is overly sensitive, or your fuel system simply has too much restriction. You could try a temporary tank and bypass the water seperator. That will isolate a bad vacuum switch. If that passes, then run the temp tank thru the water seperator and try that. If that passes either your permanent tank has a restriction (anti syphon valve??) or together the water seperator and the tank have too much restriction.

BTW - My '98 150 Johnson has a water seperator that I installed this spring. It causes some restriction in the fuel supply, and if I ran at WOT, I think I would set off the Check Engine alarm."

"Thanks. The entire fuel syst

"Thanks. The entire fuel system was just replaced in an effort to resolve the issue with absolutely no change, including the anti syphon valve anfd water seperator.. Whats involved with checking/changing the voltage regulator and the vacuum switch?"

checked the fuel tank vent hos

checked the fuel tank vent hose and found it to be semi-clogged with fuel. I blew the fuel out and ran the engine for a little while and no light.. I wont know for sure until i take it out for a ride.. maybe tomorow after work.. Do you think that could be the problem???

"OK- So far I have changed the

"OK- So far I have changed the entire fuel system, everything from the syphon tube, the water seperator, fuel filter, all hoses, primer pump, and anti syphon valve and the check engine light is still coming on!!! The GPS/Fish finder I have has a voltometer on it and it stays between 14.3 and 14.2 volts. Does this rule out the voltage regulator?? The next thing I'm going to change out is the Vacuum switch. Does anyone know where this is on the engine and what's involved with swapping it out??"

Back