Logo

1992 99 impeller help

regalx123

"My motor is not peeing water.

"My motor is not peeing water. I have removed the lower unit and removed the 4 bolts off the pump, how do I remove the impeller from the shaft? I purchased a new impeller to install.

Also, I have blown/flushed out the water line to see if any clogs, which there were not. However, upon visual inspection, the impeller looks fine (I have not removed it). Would there be any other reason that the motor would not be spitting?

Any help will be greatly appreciated."

"tap the impeller in the oppos

"tap the impeller in the opposite direction of normal rotation, that should do the trick so you can lift it up. did you blow out the pee tube? dirt dobbers love to pack them with mud."

I have had to run a small wire

I have had to run a small wire up the tell tale hole before to get water coming out! If it is dried in sometimes blowing & flushing isn't enough. Brian

"I have tapped on the impellar

"I have tapped on the impellar and have tried twisting it, but it still is not moving. Any other suggestions to get the impellar off of the shaft?"

If you are going to replace it

If you are going to replace it you can just cut it off - it's just very hard rubber (or a plastic compound of some kind)...

"Thanks Graham. I have remove

"Thanks Graham. I have removed the impeller, replaced it with a new one, reassembled the unit and started the motor. It is still not spitting any water. Any ideas? I have thoroughly cleaned all inputs and outputs that the water flows."

"Have you checked to see if yo

"Have you checked to see if you have a thermostat - it may be stuck "closed"... See diagram for location... #19 on the diagram is the thermostat, located at the top of the head/rear of the engine...

82185.gif
"

"Your model has one (at le

"Your model has one (at least it has the housing). At the very back of the powerhead, at the top cylinder there is a housing with 3 bolts holding it. Off of the bottom bolt there is a bracket which holds back the spark-plug wires. If you remove the three bolts (from #8 in the diagram I posted earlier), you should find the thermostat.."

"I found the thermostat and re

"I found the thermostat and removed it. I put the muffs back on and still no water. I figured that if water streamed, then it was the thermostat and I would buy a new one, but still not water spitting. I am surprised that there is a thermostat on the motor because when ever the engine is on, it always spits water.

Besides the impeller and thermostat, any other ideas?

I appreciate your assistance in helping me get my motor to run."

Johnson and Evinrude have had

Johnson and Evinrude have had thermostats since about 1960 so it should not really be a surprise.Are you saying that there is no water coming out of the tell tale and is the motor actually running HOT.

"Yes, there is not water comin

"Yes, there is not water coming out of the tell tale. I am not letting it run long to see if it gets hot. When I put the boat away at the end of 2006 boating season, the motor worked fine. As soon as you would start the engine, water would come out of the tell tale instantly and would continue as long as the motor was running. This has been like this since I purchased the boat in 2000."

It may be that the tell tale h

It may be that the tell tale hose is plugged.Easy to remove and blow it out.Start the motor and run it to see if it heats up too much.The exhaust cover and cylinder head should stay cool.Sprinkle water on the cylinderhead after start-up and if it sizzles it is getting too hot.

"I started the motor and after

"I started the motor and after about 2minutes, it started to get hot. I shut it off. I have cleaned, flushed and blown all lines. They are clear of any debris."

"Ok , back to basics.You did v

"Ok , back to basics.You did verify that the impeller drive pin is properly installed. If yes then remove the lower unit and drive it with a 1/2 electric drill to see if the pump works.Verify that the rubber grommet/ seal is properly installed in the pump discharge.Put a garden hose on the water tube on the motor and see if you get water out the telltale."

"Had similar issues with the s

"Had similar issues with the same motor. I removed the thermostat and cover, connected a garden hose to water tube that goes into water pump. Still poor pressure at the powerhead. After a great deal of cussin, I removed the powerhead and found that the grommet on the top of the water tube that goes to the water pump was badly swollen and distorted, blocking the flow. Mine will whizz all over the place now. Repair was a PIA, hope yours is something simple."

"I have water at the thermosta

"I have water at the thermostat, but no water coming out the taletail. If I have to removed the powerhead, how big of a job is it? I am pretty handy, but this motor has been quite a job. I have been working on it for 3 days off and on. Each time I take the motor apart and back together, (12 bolts), I break my previous record time.

Thanks for your help."

"If you are saying that the wa

"If you are saying that the water jacket is full of water when you remove the thermostat, then it must be either your thermost cover that is plugged, or the tell-tale hose, or the little connector the connects the hose to the lower pan..."

"do you run the motor in shall

"do you run the motor in shallow water? do you live in a sandy/silty area? there is a possibilty that you have picked up sand/silt and it has accumulated in the exhaust housing (the plate on the right side of the powerhead, 8 bolts). i have ran across this on several occasions in the past."

Back