Logo

Crankshaft pulley removal

"I have twin AQ131C engines, 1

"I have twin AQ131C engines, 1989 vintage, and plan to replace the timing belts. Seloc describes removal of bolts holding the crankshaft pulley in place, but my engines have a single large bolt and washer. Can I use a standard gear puller to take the pulley off after removing the bolt, or is a special tool required?
82058.jpg
crankshaft pulley

"Get a pulley puller. Also, cl

"Get a pulley puller. Also, clean the ground on your motor mount."

I've pulled at least two p

I've pulled at least two pulleys off Volvo B230 cars without need of a gear puller. Maybe a boat would be harder because of corrosion.

One neat thing I learned in the Volvo car forums was the "rope trick" to getting the crank bolt off. I don't know the procedure in the Seloc manual but this trick has worked for me several times and doesn't reqire special tools.

Pull a spark plug and put a piece of coat hanger in the hole to feel the top of the piston. Rotate the crank till the piston goes to bottom dead center. Get about 5 feet of 1/2" nylon rope and feed most of it into the spark plug hole. Rotate the crank again and the compressed rope will prevent the engine from turning over while you take the bolt out.

"Neat trick, Bob, but I would

"Neat trick, Bob, but I would be very wary to introduce any foreign objects (including rope) inside the cylinder. An impact wrench works wonders if there is enough space to fit it. Otherwise, a breakbar and holding a 2x4 between the pulley and the boat deck (to stop the pulley from moving) has worked for me. You can enven put the outdrive into gear and block the prop, but I would do this only as a last resource.

Also, I have always been lucky removing the pulley on the Volvo OHCs: a tap or two with a plastic hammer (after removing the crankshaft bolt and/or screws) and off she comes.
biggrin.gif
"

"The rope trick has been discu

"The rope trick has been discussed at length on my car forums. The valves are closed with the piston near TDC and I think it's highly unlikely that engine damage can occur with this method. There's dozens of people who have done it with no ill effects reported yet. It's especially useful in getting a good crank pulley from the pic-n-pull boneyard where air tools are scarce and auto transmissions are the norm.
proud.gif

I reckon the 2x4 trick would work just as well in a boat though. Volvo makes a pricey crank pulley holder tool but it's pretty neat to be able to do the job without one with a $3.00 piece of rope."

Back