Logo

Outboard Motors Corp

lawalkowski

"Outboard Motors Corp
Serial

"Outboard Motors Corp
Serial # 4023326
Twin Cylinder - Opposed cylinders (180 degrees apart)

Have had this setting in my garage for years. I got about 25 years ago intending to restore it. Never got a chance to do a thing with it and now would like to get rid of it.

Can anyone tell me anything about it? Year made, plugs and gap, fuel mixture, horse power, etc?"

"Being an OMC would make it ei

"Being an OMC would make it either a Johnson or an Evinrude. I have extensive listings of each reaching back into the 1920's, some by serial number and others by model number. I can't correlate you serial number. There is too many numbers in it for my Evinrude lists - it could be a Johnson (which I have lists of model numbers without the serial number ranges) so I would ask you to check and see if a model number is also on the engine...."

"I thought OMC was Outboard Ma

"I thought OMC was Outboard Marine Corp. This clearly is marked Outboard Motors Corp of Milwaukee Wisc. There are a bunch of patent numbers on the name plate. The latest one, the highest number, was issued in 1905. I think this predates Outboard Marine.

I cannot find any other name tag or model number. In fact, the serial number I gave is stamped on more than one part."

"Yes, you are right - just loo

"Yes, you are right - just looked at your post and OMC came to mind. I have no listings on anything prior to about the mid 1920's - and then only for Evinrude. But have a couple of sources to check out that have helped me with "ancient" motors before. I am interested myself because I am compiling what I hope to be "very extensive" outboard model lists. So I will have a look and also hope that someone else on here can help you out as well..."

"Found some history [img][/img

"Found some history
The Outboard Motors Corporation was founded in 1929 when Evinrude, ELTO and Lockwood-Ash combined to provide competition to Johnson outboards. In 1936 the also bought Johnson and changed the name to the Outboard Marine and Manufacturing Company (OMMC), then by 1960 they had dropped the second M and it just became OMC. So, getting back to it, your motor probably is an Evinrude (or ELTO - Evinrude Light Twin) of some descripting produced between 1929 and 1936..."

The number is probably the mod

The number is probably the model followed by the serial. 402 points to a 1931 Evinrude Lightwin and 3326 would be the serial #.

"If that is the correct motor

"If that is the correct motor the following would apply. Year 1931, 4.0 HP, Spark plug 6M : new Champion replacement K15J, plug gap : .025, contact points gap : .020, and oil/fuel mix : 1/3 pint of SAE40 oil to 1 gallon fuel. If you can post a picture it would help in identifying."

I will get a picture to post b

I will get a picture to post but may not be able to do it until next week. Have a big weekend coming up and will be running like crazy all week getting ready for it.

Back