Logo

1989 200 Evinrude timing

drx

Contributing Member
"I'm trying to setup the t

"I'm trying to setup the timing on my rebuilt powerhead. Seems to want to be too far advanced.

I basically have to have the adjustment screw for idle timing backed out almost all the way to be anywhere near spec. And when trying to set full advance without the motor running, that screw is adjusted pretty far in.

Timing pointer seems to be right on.

Not sure if Quikstart comes into play with the full advance setting procedure. I've never seen any mention of subtracting the additional 6 degrees for that. Just 4 degrees. Hopefully that same procedure applies to 89s.

Seems that the other day I was able to disable the Quikstart by grounding the circuit but today it makes no difference??(cold start) Even tried disconnecting the yellow/red wire from the ignition at the powepak while it was running, then grounding the white/black-no effect on idle speed.

Unless something else is causing it to idle around 1200 RPM(in neutral) so Quikstart is already disabled. The throttle plates are closed as tight as I can get them though. I've run it off both the built-in and a portable tank with no change in behaviour. The VRO unit is also brand new.

I put a brand new stator and power pak on it when I put it together. The timer base is original. Still less than 100 hours on it.

Seems to me that the timer base tested all .2V or less(not good I assume) but appeared to pass the ohmeter tests? But I don't have the specified meter. Wiring all looks good. Do you think the timer base could be the problem? Could it cause an intermittent Quikstart issue and too much advance?

Any other thoughts?

TIA"

"I assume that this is the nor

"I assume that this is the normal fully closed throttle shaft position as both sides independently stop at that point.

81901.jpg
throttle shafts

Back