Logo

Wanted Ford 352 or 390 reverse rotation crankshaft

1964_resorter

"Recently had my 390 rebuilt f

"Recently had my 390 rebuilt for my 1964 Resorter and shortly after getting it running it began the all too common Ford FE engine rear main seal leak. I tore it apart and found it has an automotive crank in it so the rear main seal oil hash marks are cut the wrong way, they look like this ///////. This engine was installed in 1981 and ran fine for 4 years so I guess we got lucky back then.

I'm hoping someone has a good 352 or 390 crank out there for reverse rotation use. The casting number on a 390 crank should read C6JE-J, based on references I've found on the net. No idea what a reverse rotation 352 has for a casting number. Also, the oil hash marks should look like \\\\.

Please email me if you have one of know someone who does! I'm dead in the garage until I find one.

Thanks,
Doug"

"The cranks are the same for s

"The cranks are the same for standard or opposite rotation, except for the /// as you noted. However, this can be (and has been) polished out so you can use a more modern neoprene seal. I have not done it, but many people who race these engines have. They get the boat motors, polish out the opposite rotation marks, use the new style seal instead of the old rope seal, and they're off!

Regards, P"

"I was able to find 2 cranks f

"I was able to find 2 cranks from a couple guys on a Ford FE message board. They are out of 427s so same stroke as the 390. And they have the correct \\\\ oil hash marks.

I ran the neoprene seal with the crank with the //// hash marks but it leaked. Did not try a rope seal. I'm hoping the neoprene seal with the \\\\ marks will not leak. If not, maybe I'll try the rope seal. Lastly I could get the crank polished to remove the hash marks and try the neoprene seal

I hoping the \\\\ crank will work though regardless of the seal.

Thanks for the tip.

Doug"

"Hey Doug,

Have you conside

"Hey Doug,

Have you considered a speedy sleeve? In case you are not familar with this, it is a thin sleeve that is driven over the seal surface of whatever component you are having a problem with (wheel spindles, output shaft flanges ect). This gives the seal a nice new shiny smooth surface to ride on. Much cheaper than a new crank or the machine process to remove the grooves.

Bananas!"

"I'm not sure if a sleeve

"I'm not sure if a sleeve would work on this crank since there's no way to put a sleeve over the rear seal area. It'd have to be a 2 piece sleeve welded together in place and then machined down.

I'm hopeful that one of these 2 cranks I picked up will work!

Thanks,
Doug"

Back