Logo

1985 evinrude v6 150 crossflow rebuilding engine question

tivey34

"On my 1985 v6 crossflow 150 I

"On my 1985 v6 crossflow 150 I had very low compression on 2 cylinders.I pulled the head and 2 of my pistons show some top wear due to water leakage through the headgasket but my cylinder walls look well oiled and slick and like new,with plain eyes view.My question, is what should my measurement be plus or minus before I go oversized pistons. 3.50 is standard piston,3.520 is first oversized size.Question 2 is, can I probably go to the larger piston 20 over without boring the engine? Keep in mind this is a 22 year old engine and I rather not put 3 or 4k in this rebuild.I will resurface the heads and probably replace all pistons and rings but need to know how to know if and when it is necesary to bore it.Thanks in advance."

"A 0.020" o/s piston will

"A 0.020" o/s piston will not fit in a standard bore engine, never has and never will.At cylinder wear of 0.002 (Likely egg shaped as well) you should be reboring , no shortcuts on this type of work."

"do the head and replace the r

"do the head and replace the rings scuff the bore and reassemble , she wiil last another 10 years the rebore is nice but this isn't a race motor."

"i have rebuilt many of those,

"i have rebuilt many of those,...i prefer,...to go 30 over....unless the cyl's are in good shape,and need nothing but honing...u also enlarge the hs jets a little.This is an excellent engine to rebuild."

"While ordering head gaskets,

"While ordering head gaskets, I see I have a choice of 2.What I would think are regular head gaskets and Low Compression Head Gaskets.I had low compression on 2 cylinders due to pistons/rings.Should I order low comp head gaskets because I had low comp, or was there some of these engines that was originally factory with lower compression and those engines take that gasket.I am only comfused because a boat mechanic told me that some those ran on lower compression.Please advise today am planning on ordering my rebuild materials all asap.Thanks"

Back