Logo

454 CRUSADER RPM PROBLEM

alanw

" I HAVE 454 CRUSADERS 350 HP

" I HAVE 454 CRUSADERS 350 HP 1988 MY PORT ENGINE WILL NOT GET PASSED 2800 RPM'S UNDER A LOAD
( runs great at the dock ) AT 2800 RPM'S IT SOUNDS LIKE THE 4 BARREL CARB IS SCREAMING AND THE ENGINE STARTS TO BUCK A LITTLE. I HAVE CHECKED THE PROP AND SHAFT AND THEY ARE CLEAN. I CHANGED THE ROTOR, DISTRIBUTOR CAP AND THE FUEL FILTER. I HAVE CHECKED THE TIMING,SPARK PLUGS AND COMPRESSION STILL DOES THE SAME THING ANY THOUGHTS.
THANKS
ALAN W "

"Sounds like lack of fuel or i

"Sounds like lack of fuel or ignition advance. Check the fuel pressure, fuel pump, inline fuel screen if your carb has one. Also check for full ignition advance with a timing light & lightly lube the advance weights in the distributor.

"

THANKS croozertoo I DID A LIT

THANKS croozertoo I DID A LITTLE MORE CHECKING LAST NIGHT MY FUEL SCREEN WAS CLEAN. I CHECKED THE INTERNALS OF THE DISTRIBUTOR AND FOUND A MESS ONE SPRING WAS BROKEN AND ONE WEIGHT WAS BROKEN LOOSE.
THANKS FOR YOUR THOUGHTS
ALAN W.

"Hey, once in a while I get lu

"Hey, once in a while I get lucky, y'know? Glad you found the problem!

"

"I have a Starboard 454 Crusad

"I have a Starboard 454 Crusader that overheats when pushed past 2400 RPMs. It consistantly stays cool enough if run below that speed. I checked the impeller. Seems like a riser issue, I guess. Are there some good instructions on how to remove and replace my riser on that engine?"

"I have 1996 454 Crusader engi

"I have 1996 454 Crusader engines. The starboard engine has begun dying on me when I come to idle after the engines have been warmed up past 2000 rpm. Doesnt happen if I just idle it at the dock. The engine has low oil pressure at the idle only 10-12 psi, and hits about 25 max. Port engine is running at about 40 psi at idle. I replaced the oil pressure switch that powers the fuel pump, didnt have any affect. I am told that the switch closes with a little as 5 psi. Other than the fact that the oil pressure in the engine is way low, does anyone have any experience with this?"

Snydervill if you haven't

Snydervill if you haven't done already you can try changing the oil filter first to see if this increases the pressure. Sometimes something so simple can cause problems.

"Just had the oil changed, put

"Just had the oil changed, put 40 weight in and changed the filter, with no apparent affect. Thanks though. The bigger issue is the engine dying on me, I am beginning to think the oil pressure is a bad oil pump. Am told that it is real fun to change out. Would appreciate any help on the idle/dying issue."

"For Philip above, I too had t

"For Philip above, I too had that problem with my starboard engine 454 overheating. We changed the impeller and it didnt fix it. We then pulled the heat exchanger and had it rodded out and cleaned. This seems to have solved the problem."

"I have a 1989 454 crusader po

"I have a 1989 454 crusader port motor that runs for thirty minutes and then quits. I have changed the water impeller, fuel filters, and fuel pump????"

"HEY! You guys, stop adding y

"HEY! You guys, stop adding your problems to some one else's thread! Start a new thread of your own, please!

And ALLANW, let off that cap key, will yah? THIS IS CALLED SHOUTING AND IS CONSIDERED VERY RUDE! Okay?

Jeff"

i have single fuel tank. i wil

i have single fuel tank. i will check the distributer today.

Back