Logo

Montgomery Ward Sea King 5

How about lubrication for the

How about lubrication for the lower part of my motor is that a special oil

and thank you for all of your help

"Walter, it's all in your

"Walter, it's all in your numbers.

The "GG" 187360 tells you it was built by Gale (OMC) for Wards.

The first two digits of the serial are the year of manufacture (inverted) so the 26X breaks down to 62 or 1962..."

"I'm working on a GG9004A

"I'm working on a GG9004A 3 hp. Sea King sold by Montgomery Wards for a friend. If someone would be kind enough to tell me the year of MFG I'd appreciate it. I'm confident it's a Gale product.

Also, where is the most likely source of a water pump impeller and seal assembly for this motor?"

"Whoops...got the combination

"Whoops...got the combination for figuring year of Manufacture in the last post.... Still need to know where to get an impeller and seal for lower unit.

Thanks,

Dan"

"I just got a sea king the # o

"I just got a sea king the # on it are 74gg9012 I tried to get it running and it will start for about 3 seconds then die,I would love some imput on what this could be,the motor looks as it is almost new and I would like to see her run if any one could give me some good advice I would be gratefull thank you..."

I also have a cruse n carry 6

I also have a cruse n carry 6 hp if anyone could help me out with information on how to get parts for this motor I would be gratefull thank you for your time....

"Hey Shawn,
For the record, y

"Hey Shawn,
For the record, you have a 1947-1948 model made by the Gale division of OMC.
Running for 3 seconds and dying is likely one of 2 things. It's either starving for fuel, or flooding. Pop the plugs out and see if they are dry or soaked. Have you taken the carburetor off and cleaned it? There are several things to check on that motor before trying to run it for too long. Is it pumping water (which requires it to run for a while), are the coils in good shape, is there oil in the bottom end, plus a few other things. I'd start with a good carb cleaning."

"wayne I took off the carb and

"wayne I took off the carb and cleaned it the best I know how just speayed carb cleaner through it,when I opened up the carb the float was in rough shape so I put a new cork in it,when I checked the plugs they seemed to be dry,is ther some kind of fuel pump in the carb?"

"There are likely gum deposits

"There are likely gum deposits and "crud" in all the orifices inside the carb. There is no fuel pump on this carb, just gravity and a float system to regulate the fuel. If it were mine, I'd disassemble the carb, cleaning everything carefully and inspecting any needle valves etc. I'd also inspect the inside of the fuel tank to make sure it is clean as well."

I have a 35HP sea king outboar

I have a 35HP sea king outboard motor and like toknow the oil/gas ratioo

I acquired a 1961 15hp Sea Kin

I acquired a 1961 15hp Sea King (Johnson I think). I took it to the marina where they got it running well. When I was there I thought I heard it get to full speed in the tank. Now it will only get up to full speed right after I start the motor if I throttle all the way. Once i throttle down it will only go to little over half speed. I can kill the motor and start it up and it will go to full speed but if i throttle down or wait a bit before throttling all the way it will go back to halkf power. any info would be great!

"I purchased a 1968 wards sea

"I purchased a 1968 wards sea king 3.5 hp motor. been siiting for a lot of years, but cleaned it up did some adjustments runs great. But i need to know if it has a water pump,has plenty of fins on engine put it in a barrel of water but did not see any water pumping out.I see a small curved pipe backside of propeller and a hole abut six inches above prop and seems to be exhaust coming from that also has doubled row of small holes just below engine and thats exhaust."

yes bobby it has an impellor &

yes bobby it has an impellor ( rubber) water pump according to my repair manual. the double row of holes is the water intake which is where the water goes into the lower end. the water keeps the lower end cool from the exhaust

"Hi all,
There is a 12' b

"Hi all,
There is a 12' boat for sale in the neighborhood and it has a Wards 3.5 model VWB19069A S/N 66X12474 on it. I'm guessing from previous posts that this is a 1966 motor and that parts are probably still available from some of the vendors listed above. The owner said it runs but needs a tune up. Who made the VWB motors for Wards? It has cooling fins on the cylinder, is it water-cooled also? Last question, if the motor does in fact run, is it worth $300.00?
Thanks, Mark"

"Mark, that is a Chrysler buil

"Mark, that is a Chrysler built engine (sort of).

The motor itself is worth maybe 50 bucks. If he want's 300 bucks for the whole package and the boat is in ok shape it may be worth it.

Yes, it is a 66 model which is 1 year after Chrysler bought West Bends outboard division. So basically what you have there is a left-over, single cylinder, 3.5 horse West Bend that was kicked out the door by Chrysler and dressed in Wards decals/colours.

If the motor needs much more than a carb cleaning and a new sparkplug, I would personally not spend the money on it. As stated above, it can be easily replaced with even a newer model air-cooled motor for about 50 bucks..."

"I have a 9.9 Sea King Model #

"I have a 9.9 Sea King Model # VWB 52299, Serial # 20468. Can anyone tell me the year it was made, and if any other year and or model # lower units will work on this motor. The individual I got it from tried shifting it into gear at WOT. Thanks for any Information, dale"

"Several years ago I purchased

"Several years ago I purchased a Sea King, I think 6 hp. Model VWB27906A, Serial 76x12378

I was told to use 40-1 gas-oil but after reading these posts I wonder. I have never used it because it ran bad and now all of the grease leaks out of the lower unit.

Is it hard to replace the seals and am I using the right gas mixture? Thanks for your time!!!"

"Hi all,
I picked up a 3.5 hp

"Hi all,
I picked up a 3.5 hp Sea King, believe it is a 66 model.
I dont know much about motors but a buddy of mine is helping me with it.
He cleaned the carb out, I put new gaskets, fuel line and in-line fuel filter and new spark plug cable. The motor has good compression.
Some times it starts up on a pull but most of the times it doesent, it seems like its not getting fuel. If we shoot some gas into the cylinder and put the plug back in it starts every time.
Is there something we a missing?
We did clean the jets out.

Thanks for any and all help...Jeff"

I have a Clinton outboard eng

I have a Clinton outboard engine model # J9-1101 its air cooled looks old but runs really good .Anyone know how old it is and what size it is?The guy that sold me the boat said its a 7 horse and the boat it came on is a 12 foot aluminum Elgin from the sixties.

"Phil, your motor is a 5 HP -

"Phil, your motor is a 5 HP - see http://www.discount-marine-parts.com/ob_clinton_1.html
Jeff, yours is a 1965, Chrysler made engine. See http://www.discount-marine-parts.com/ob_sea_king_chrysler_model.html
Jeff, does your motor stay running after you prime it, or just stall once the fuel in the cylinder runs out? When you changed the fuel line and put in the filter, you didn't make it so the fuel has to travel "up hill" did you? Also make sure that you are using the proper size fuel line. Too big and it won't seal tight on the fittings, causing an air leak.
If the motor sat for an extended time, make sure you soak all the metal carb parts (jets too) for a while and blow them out.
Hopefully that is a good starting point."

"Wayne,
I fired the motor up

"Wayne,
I fired the motor up today, if I set the throttle in the "fast" position and pull the cord, it runs fine without conking out. When I move the throttle down to "start" it conks out. Does the carb just need to be fine tuned from this point?
It was pulling fuel from the tank, actually ran the tank dry.
What should the ratio be, some say 24:1 others 50:1?
Thanks..Jeff"

"It does sound like you have a

"It does sound like you have a low-speed jet problem if it runs fine at high speed. Either clogged or out of adjustment. As a general rule, I adjust the low speed jet on a motor I don't know about 1 1/2 turns out from seated and adjust from there (I don't know your motor, so it's only a guess). That's assuming everything else is clean and adjusted properly.
Again, I don't know your motor, but assume it is 24:1 because of its age. If it's air cooled, make sure you use chainsaw type oil. I wish I was more precise, but hope this helps."

"Wayne, thank you for the info

"Wayne, thank you for the information, I'll try adjusting the jets like you say.
Atleast she fired up
biggrin.gif
"

Back