Logo

Montgomery Ward Sea King 5

Can someone tell me what year

Can someone tell me what year this Sea king five is and horse power Numbers are GG18732A serial 26X83049 I need coils for sure other than that are they worth fixing up. It hasn't run for nearly 16 yaers. but ran ok at the time. Tried vintageoutboard but no numbers for my motor. best place to find parts? Thank you. Mike.}

"I can't find any referenc

"I can't find any reference to a GG18732A. The closest is a GG-18736A, which is a 1961 5HP. Your motor was made by the Gale division of OMC, and would almost guaranteed use the part 18-5181 listed there. I see this site (marineengine.com) has them cheaper. http://www.marineengine.com/newparts/part_details.php?pnum=SIE18-5181&ptype=&Eng ine=&Model=
Re-check the number. Either that, or hopefully someone else on this site will have information on your specific motor.
Yes, your motor would definitely be worth fixing up. It shares most of its components with Johnson/Evinrudes of the day. As for finding parts, marineengine.com will have most of the maintenance parts you need."

"<font face=""arial,helvet

"<font face=""arial,helvetica""></font>looking for a part for a wards sea king 5hp
part #525781/Interlock starter
goes on the post starter spring guide at the very top. it is #6 under illus. no.
in parts book model no. VWB 52179 page's #8-9
under starter
any help would help greatly
530-533-5004 CA.
}"

You have a Seaking made by Chr

You have a Seaking made by Chrysler. A good source of parts for them is: franzmarine.com
816-966-8085. He is located in Grandview Mo.
he has had everything that I needed for my Seaking 6. Good Luck

"I just bought a sea king with

"I just bought a sea king with the number 74GG-9012 It was been on an outboard stand in a garage for 12 years but it looks pretty clean and the top turns, so it is not locked up. What should I do as far as cleaning this motor up to get it running. Should I take it somewhere or can I do it myself. Any info on the year of this motor would be handy also."

"Hey Grant.
It's a 1947/4

"Hey Grant.
It's a 1947/48 5 HP, made by the Gale division of OMC.
As far as getting it running after that long sitting, make sure that it has good spark, a clean fuel system, a working water pump impeller, and good compression. As for spark, I'd probably take off the flywheel and make sure the coils aren't cracked and the points aren't rusted. You could possibly cheat this step if you simply remove the plug from the hole and pull it over, but it's better to be safe than sorry. The carb likely needs to be disassembled and cleaned thoroughly, and the tank should be cleaned. I'd recommend replacing any rubber fuel lines the motor has just because the originals would be degraded by now. The impeller may pump water for you, but is likely dried and brittle. I wouldn't trust it to be useable for any length of time, and definitely wouldn't trust it. I don't know exactly what impeller it would need, but since it was made by OMC, it's likely a fairly common one.
I would guess it is part# 900040 at http://www.vintageoutboard.com/JEImpellersLowerUnit/JOHNEVINImpeller_1.html

I have a similar motor to yours, and it ran great for years. It started to overheat back in the days before internet, so I never did get around to replacing the impeller. I hope to change that in the near future."

"I have a sea king 5hp GG8822A

"I have a sea king 5hp GG8822A ser# 06x779332. Is the water pump at the top of the lower unit or at the bolt on section of the lower unit? I saw a picture of a hiawatha pump and was wondering if maybe the hiawatha was also made by gale products in Galesburg, IL. It was a divison of OMC and made Evinrudes as well."

"Hey wayne,

Where is the wa

"Hey wayne,

Where is the water pump impellor located on the motor? Also, I got it running, it runs fine on "start" but when I idle down to the red line, it dies. Is there a neutral, also what does the red line above the throttle represent? Also, I have fuel leaking from the top of the fuel reservoir that contains the cork that is pushed down when you prime it, shouldn't there be some sort of gasket on there? Where could I find one?"

Can anyone tell me where the w

Can anyone tell me where the water pump is located on a Montgomery Sea King 5 hp model# 35GG-9015A

Thanks in advance!!

"It is located in the lower un

"It is located in the lower unit - that is a 1953 Gale model.

Could either be on the driveshaft or propshaft - don't have a manual for that vintage - but will be in one place or the other.

Try www.discount-marine-parts.com they have copies of original manuals for this model."

Hi
I have a montgomery ward

Hi
I have a montgomery ward sea king 5hp

model no. k500 3108c
serial no. 1054151
Type no. xtv 52250

it is not getting any spark. I also need a female fuel line conection piece.

please help with this.

john gardill

"can any of you guys tell me w

"can any of you guys tell me what the year and make is on a montgomeryward 5hp seaking is ,red and grey in color and are they good motors, the model number is 94gg9014a and serial number326373; thanks a bunch, lewdys123"

"Lewis, that's a 1949 Gale

"Lewis, that's a 1949 Gale (OMC) built model - and yes, they were a great little motor almost 50 years ago. Surprisingly, many maintenance parts are still available..."

"thank you graham for the feed

"thank you graham for the feedback i very much appreciate it,i just bought it and plan on using it soon, do you know what the fuel to oil mixture reccomend is."

Yep - 24:1 - regular unleaded

Yep - 24:1 - regular unleaded and TCW3 marine 2 stroke oil.

Do yourself and the motor a favour though. Stop by NAPA (or similar) and pick up a bit of bulk fuel line (take a piece from under the hood to get the size correct) and replace it all. The old rubber don't play too well with the ethanol in todays fuel.

"once again thank you for your

"once again thank you for your very helpfull knowledge ,only have one more question and that is what was the original spark plug so i can cross reffrence ; ps i will take your advice on the fuel lines and i reccomend this sight to anybody"

"I can't remember what the

"I can't remember what the original plug was (may have been a J6C - but guessing), but you can run a Champion, either J11C or RJ12C gapped at .030" - that's the modern recommendation for that motor.

The RJ12C will cut down on ignition noise if you have a radio, fishfinder, gps etc on board."

I have a 3.5 hp sea king.
Mod

I have a 3.5 hp sea king.
Model No. XTV 50535B
Serial No. 1613540
Type No. K550 6106A
Could some one tell me the year of this motor and if an owners manual is still avaiable.
Thank's Bob

"Robert, send me an email, mak

"Robert, send me an email, make the subject K550 and I can send you an original owners/parts manual in pdf form - will dig up the year for you as well by then.

The motor itself is a Clinton."

"Robert, my advice (good o

"Robert, my advice (good or bad) any of my on-line collection which has been scrounged over the years is always free.

I have emailed you the file. It's just a few pages, but is original to the motor and definately worth having..."

"GRAHAM, THE MANUAL YOU SENT

"GRAHAM, THE MANUAL YOU SENT ME WAS VERY HELPFUL
WITH MY CARBURATOR REBUILD, I DISCOVERED I LISTED THE WRONG NO. THE CORRECT INFO IS AS FOLLOWS;
CLINTON (SEA KING) 3.5 HP
MODEL NO. XTV50535B
SERIAL NO. 1613540
TYPE NO. K350 6106A
THE CORRECT NO. IS K350 NOT K550
I AM TRYING TO FIND A WATER PUMP ASSEMBLY OR AT
LEAST AN IMPELLER FOR MY MOTOR
ALSO DO YOU HAVE A MANUAL FOR THIS MOTOR
SORRY FOR THE SCREW UP.
THANK'S AGAIN GRAHAM"

"I need help. I have received

"I need help. I have received a Seas King 5HP outboard. Model #GG18736 ( no letters after ) model #16X823401. The motor ran ok to start with and as i tried to run wide open and it began to stall. I tried to figure out what would be doing that. There are two knobs missing on the front. The choke knob on far right works. The knob in the middle is gone, which seems to adjust high speed. Inside the shaft that would have the speed knob on was run all the way in. what does that mean? All the way open or fastest? Also the knob on the left seems to be for low speed. Each knob has 1,2,3,4 locations in a 360 orientation. The only knob inside that has levers to move shafts is the slow speed knob. I have the knob , but it is stripped out. I do not have the knob for the middle ( high speed shaft)
Basically when I turn the shaft on the far left (slow speed knob )it only turns 1/8 way around, moving the shaft only a very little. It does not look like it was supposed to function like this originally. Please help me understand how to set everything to start it. After running it for about 20 min on a lake. I started playing with the high speed shaft and the carb. and now I can not get it started to save my life. The hand throttle has no writing on it. I am guessing that setting it in the middle it start location. I am trying to figure out what I need to do to get it started. I can take pics so you can see what has been done. It has new fuel lines and new plugs. I do not know the gap for plugs. It is getting enough fuel and I have used starting spray in the plug port to help. It will not start. I have adjusted the shaft that connects to the slow speed knob all the way in to all the way out, pulling the cord in all the different positions. I now do not have any idea where it need to be. I think it controls lean or rich mixture. If Pics would help I can send. Anything you can tell me would be great."

"I have 1961 to 1963 Montgomer

"I have 1961 to 1963 Montgomery Ward 5HP Seaking. Anybody know where I can find the thermostat, and I'm assuming there is one on this motor. Manual said it was at top rear of powerhead under its own little cover, but I don't see it?!? The impeller isn't working for some reason, and I was told to check the thermostat 1st. Also is the impeller in the upper gear housing above the cavitation plate? The model # GG18732B, serial # 36X875236. Manufacturer-GALE. Sure would like a repair manual for same. I do have the owners manual. I have rechecked the model# too, the closest number I've found is the GG18736, but my number is definately GG18732B, checked and double-checked."

"Do these little Mont/ward 5hp

"Do these little Mont/ward 5hp seakings have a thermostat? Any other reason for the water cooling system not to work if the systems impeller is good, and no blockage?"

"HEY---?!??? IS ANYBODY READIN

"HEY---?!??? IS ANYBODY READING THESE POST, OR AM I WASTING MY TIME HOPING? OR--- how are these post answered, here or my e-address? I sure would appreciate anybodies help on the last two post above. THANK YOU!"

"A new post starts at the open

"A new post starts at the opening page under "start a new discussion" And it's the 4th of july week end. There is only people with car trouble looking at forumns right now.

There are several ways to get an answer to you questions. Most likely, you can read it both on your computer as an e-mail, and by searching out your question on the forumn it's self."

"Hi Graham, still having probl

"Hi Graham, still having problems,
getting good spark and the carb seems to be functiong well, but it just won't start. It dosen't appear to be getting any fuel to the combustion chamber. I check the reeds and they looked ok to me, but I'm really not sure what I should be looking for. The reeds are made of material simaliar to thin shim stock.
Also Graham did you get a chance to find a manual.
Here a are the numbers again;
model XTV 50535
serial 1613504
type K350 6106A
Thank's again I really appreciate it.
Take Care Bob"

Back