Logo

Montgomery Ward Sea King 5

sandmanwv

"I have looked through the pos

"I have looked through the posts but have not found anything relating to my situation. Recently I was left a boat and Montgomery Ward Sea King 5. Problem is it has been setting for about ten years and I know absolutely nothing about it.
The model number is 35GG-9015A
serial number is 474264
Can someone give me any info about it? I don't know what gas/oil mix I should use, I don't even know if it will run. Especially appreciated would be recommendations to restore it to proper running condition.

Thanks"

"35GG9015A Looks to be a 1953

"35GG9015A Looks to be a 1953
It looks like it's original spark plug was a J6J (you can look up its replacement), and 1/2 a pint to the gallon of gas. That's a 16:1 ratio, and it's going to smoke. Don't get carried away with using a leaner mixture. Some will tell you that with today's oils you can go leaner, but I wouldn't recommend it, especially if your going to be running it full throttle, It will need the lubrication. Be sure to use a good outboard 2-cycle oil."

"I just picked up my grandfath

"I just picked up my grandfathers Sea King 5 hp Model 35GG-9014A, after having it serviced. I took it for a little spin and it ran fine. This one had sat for about 25 years, so I took it for service before I even tried to start it. The mechanic fixes lots of old motors and said he: Cleaned the points, probably checked the gap on them too, replaced the condensers, cleaned the carbs, and replaced the lower unit grease (oil?). Total charge $30. I couldn't believe the low amount I was charged. Before he looked at it he said he would determine if it was worth fixing since he couldn't get carburator parts and the coils were expensive. He did say they are good running motors if they don't have expensive or irrepairable problems. He recommended using good quality TCW III oil such as Mercury and mixing 20 to 1. He said 16 to one would foul the plugs too easily. My number is so close to yours, it must be about a 1953 also, although I'd like to know for sure. Mine doesn't put out much water from the exhaust grooves above the water, so I hope the impeller is OK. Good luck with yours."

"Will, the 9014A is also a 195

"Will, the 9014A is also a 1953 model year. I usually don't see more than light spray from the grooves on my Sea King but does increase some with increase in engine speed. As long as you can place your hand on the side of the motor (side covers removed) and not feel uncomfortable heat you shouldn't have a problem. From the sounds of it your mechanic knows his business. If in doubt ask him to do a tank test. Although it is highly probable he did that when he tuned it."

Hopefully someone else can exp

Hopefully someone else can explain the difference between the 9014A and 9015A. Both are 1953 5HP motors made by Gale for Wards. Cross referenced to Gale as models 5S10 and 5D10 respectively.

Where is the water pump locate

Where is the water pump located?? I took 4 bolts out of the bottom and there was oil and a shaft but no impeller.

"Not familiar with the motor,

"Not familiar with the motor, but it may be on the prop shaft instead of the drive. Some early Mercs were like this as well..."

"Hello...I have read most post

"Hello...I have read most postings from folks with Montgomery Ward Sea King outboard questions pertaing to Year Identification and manufacturer. I have a 5 HP Sea King Model # GG9001B, S/N 55596885. If anyone can provide information on this motor, it would be greatly appreciated. The motor is intact and has good compression. I added a 16:1 fuel oil mix and tried starting it with no luck. Figuring the points may need attention, I pulled the flywheel and found the ignition coils (2ea) with their insulators cracked from age?? The insulators look to be a red plastic material which is peeling and breaking away from the coils. I believe that that's the reason that I am not getting ignition. The points looked great and appear OK as well as the condensors. I would like to replace the coils and am wondering if there is someplace that still sells parts for these old motors. Anyone out there that can provide feedback - it will be greatly appreciated."

"Konrad
I am far from an expe

"Konrad
I am far from an expert; however, the mechanic that worked on my SeaKing used some parts from GLM marine. http://www.glmmarine.com/pdf/JohnEvin_Catalog.pdf
Look at page 144 or thereabouts. My mechanic used condensors for an old evinrude. I'm not sure if the coils would work or not. GLM Marine may know, but they may not sell direct to the public."

"I HAVE AQUIRED A WARDS SEA HO

"I HAVE AQUIRED A WARDS SEA HORSE 5HP, WHERE IS THE BEST PLACE TO FIND PARTS IN CENTRAL TEXAS. MOTOR RUNS WELL. NEEDS WATER PUMP, PLUGS, POINTS, AND CARB KIT. THIS IS A MODEL XTV505554 WHAT YEAR WAS THIS MADE."

Thanks Will...very good inform

Thanks Will...very good information and also a very nice catalog. This will surely help get my 5 Horse Sea King King Model # GG9001B running again.

"I have a 1968 Sea King 5 hp m

"I have a 1968 Sea King 5 hp model # GG-18801A. It ran good until this year. Can't get it started. It's getting gas to the carb, and I believe beyond that. I've cleaned and gapped the plugs but have not torn into it enough to check the points or such in the magneto. Anyone have any advice?"

"Have you checked to see if yo

"Have you checked to see if you are getting any spark? Remove the plugs and rest the metal threads against a good ground, such as the engine block and pull the cord. Make sure there is spark jumping across the gap (do it in a shady spot). If so, squirt a couple drops of mixed fuel into the cylinder (or cylinders), reinstall the plugs and try. If it sputters, you likely have carburetor issues. If you left fuel in since last year, there is a good chance you have varnish and other gunk clogging the jets in the carburetor. Hope this helps."

"Hi,
I've been reading th

"Hi,
I've been reading these posts with a great deal of interest. Recently (Oct. 20, 2007) I was scuba diving in Lake Minnetonka when in about 7 feet of water I discovered a Montgomery Ward model#35GG-9015A Sea King 5 motor laying on the bottom. I brought the motor home with me. The lake has caused some corrosion and the gas cap is missing but I would think that this motor could be used for parts. It must have been running very well before it went to the bottom of the lake because it still has part of the boat in its grip. Does anyone have advise on what I should do with this motor? 612-221-1282"

"Is the motor able to turn ove

"Is the motor able to turn over, or is it seized up? If it turns over, it may be easily salvageable. One thing that worries me is that the gas cap is missing. It would be unlikely that the cap would come undone while submerged. What may have happened is that someone sunk it on purpose. I have heard of people taking old wooden boats out and sinking them on purpose, sometimes with old broken motors attached to them, or lying in the bottom to help them sink. Some claim it makes a good artificial reef for fish to gather. Regardless, if it is not seized, or too badly corroded, it would make a good project. Otherwise, use it as a decoration."

"Jeffery, I would agree with W

"Jeffery, I would agree with Wayne. That was originally a pretty nice little motor. Built by Gale which was a division of OMC, so a fair number of the parts may be the same as a Johnson/Evinrude of the same era.

That is a 1953, twin cylinder 5 horse model. Might be well worth disassembly, a good clean up and then an assessment of possibility of getting it running again...."

I'd be willing to give thi

I'd be willing to give this 5hp Motgomery Ward motor to someone. I have no where to display it myself. Anyone interested?

"We have an old Montomery Ward

"We have an old Montomery Wards Sea King, decking has rotted where battery sits, any ideas on how to repair this?
Thanks for any help. DLB"

"I assume you are talking abou

"I assume you are talking about the decking on the boat? Although this is an "engine" website, can maybe point you in the right direction.

What material is the deck built with - wood? fiberglass? aluminum? steel??"

i have just purchased a montgo

i have just purchased a montgomery ward with a 7 h\p by clinton my problem is how to lubricate the bottom unit can anyone help thank you.

"Hi... I have a VWB 52298 US M

"Hi... I have a VWB 52298 US Marine Sea KIng motor. I know it's a 1985 model. The motor will only run while it's choked. It will put around, but won't plane out while being choked... any ideas?"

Sounds like the carb needs a g

Sounds like the carb needs a good cleaning - probably a partially clogged jet...

"Do you think Gumout or someth

"Do you think Gumout or something would do it, or do I have to mechanically push something through the jet?(makes me nervous)Should I get a gasket kit for after the cleaning?"

"You could soak the non-rubber

"You could soak the non-rubber parts in carb cleaner to loosen gum etc. I have a trolling rod that uses wire line which is fine enough to fit through any jet holes I've ever come across and use that as well.
If you can salvage the old gaskets and are 100% sure they seal properly, go ahead, but for the price I'd replace them. I'm not familiar with that engine, but there are likely some diaphrams inside the carb to pump the fuel that may have weakened over time.
Although by your post it sounds like you intend to disassemble the carburetor, just make sure you don't use automotive carb cleaner in the fuel while the engine is running as it can damage your engine."

Thank you so much Wayne for yo

Thank you so much Wayne for your knowledge and advice!

"My son was given a M Wards Se

"My son was given a M Wards Sea King 3. Model GG9006A, SN 75X656795. It runs good, but he can't determine if its air or water cooled. There doesn't appear to be a water pump or inlet/outlet ports, but there are no fins that you might expect on a air cooled engine. Any help would be greatly appreciated."

"Hey Gary,
Your motor appears

"Hey Gary,
Your motor appears to be a 1947-48. Made by Gale (OMC).
It is water cooled, but the impeller is in the lower gear housing connected to the prop shaft vs having a water pump/impeller setup above the gears where you would normally find them.
To get at it you have to remove the prop, then there is a plate you have to undo which will give you access to the impeller. There is a seal behind that that you should look at replacing if you have it apart.
There are still impellers available out there. If you need to, you can email me and I can direct you to a few sites that you will likely find one at.
Hope this helps."

"Thank you so much Wayne. I wi

"Thank you so much Wayne. I will pass this on to my son, and email you off list. He is very good with small engines, but I'm sure he will need help finding parts."

I've got 1 45GG-9015A I&#3

I've got 1 45GG-9015A I'm trying to get running with my father in law. He discovered the clutch cable (?) is broken. Any suggestions on where to start or where to find a drawing?

Back