Logo

Montgomery Ward Sea King 5

"Will ever get it right, I&#39

"Will ever get it right, I'm getting old.
I messed up the numbers again on that 3.5 hp sea king. The type no. is K530 (not K350).
Can't find reeds for it.
Thank's & Take Care Bob"

"Can somebody tell me how i ne

"Can somebody tell me how i need to set the hi and low speed jet knobs on my ward/ seaking (gg9002c)?
It has a choke and two knobs vertical in the center....small knob above large knob...
Thanks in advance...
Also, where is the best place to locate operators mannual?"

"Hey I got sea king 5 35GG 901

"Hey I got sea king 5 35GG 9014A (1953?) Paid $100 for it, didnt run. Put 2 plugs in it and adj. the pionts to 18 thou.? It ran but no Water. Took it apart, made new gaskets put it back together, wont start. Kid fessed up to turning mixter screw. How far out from seat should it be? Thanks"

"Well I just joined the family

"Well I just joined the family too. My Sea King Five is model GG18732A and serial 26X838214. I see from reading above it must be made by Gale in 1962. I'm looking for a parts/service manual. The Johnson/Evinrude website refers customers to www.kencook.com for archived outboard manuals. Unfortunately, Ken Cook doesn't list my exact model number. It seems the mystery digit it the '2' in the model number GG18732A. They don't have a listing for this.

In any case, this is a father-son project motor (and accompanying Sea King 14 aluminum boat). I see there are some very knowledgeable folks here so I welcome some direction. I'm starting cold. Just picked it up yesterday. Guy who sold it said the motor has run fine for years, but wouldn't start this season. I want to check all the basics: clean the carb, fuel filter, plugs, etc. If anyone has a "common sense starting point" outboard checklist to ensure best outcome for an otherwise unknown motor, please speak up."

Simple compression test - do y

Simple compression test - do you feel resistance when you turn the motor over by hand and hear a little whoomp when the pressure releases? Some like to use a gauge for readings. Can't turn it over at all - either walk away or be prepared to tear it down and rebuild. Next is spark - bright blue spark able to jump 1/4" gap is great. No spark - time to pull the flywheel and check coils and points. If coils are cracked they need to be replaced. Try cleaning and resetting the points unless the end riding on the cam is badly worn or they don't spring back when pulled open then replace. Once you have spark then go to fuel. Clean the carb and put in a kit. Check the oil in the lower unit for water. If you pull the drain plug and something other than oil comes out it is time to replace the seals in the unit. Drop the lower unit and check the condition of the water pump impeller. Might as well just replace it as long as you have it off. Take it out to the lake for final adjustments to the carb and enjoy it.

"I have a fully restored excel

"I have a fully restored excellent running
1947 3.5 HIAWATHA for sale. Im thinking $300.00
If any one want to see photos email me at [email protected]

375886.jpg
"

"just joined the site and foun

"just joined the site and found alot of interesting info.... thanks to all who take the time to answer our questions here.
well i just inherited my grandfathers old boat.. a 14' Monark with a Sea King 25 outboard the model number is GG8985A with the serial number 85X743041... i have learned from reading earlier posts it is a 58 model but that is all i know could someone please help me figure out the rest.... how many horse power it is and what all the other numbers mean and what they tell us, thanks again for all the help"

"It is a 25 HP motor. The mod

"It is a 25 HP motor. The model number indicates the actual manufacturer by the first set of letters. In your case the GG stands for Gale which was a part of OMC. OMC changed the model number every year making it easier to find the year. Montgomery had the serial numbers made so that the first 2 digits are the year in reverse. Basic tuneup parts should be available here as most OMC models shared common parts. You may find a manual here or try posting a message at http://www.aomci.org/ to see if someone there has parts manual they could share via downloading."

I just inherited an ancient MW

I just inherited an ancient MW Sea King:

Model# 14EA-8823A Twin Cylinder
Serial# 378 00922

Any information regarding this motor is greatly appreciated. Not sure if it runs yet.

"Curt.. thank you for the info

"Curt.. thank you for the info very helpful i was starting to wonder if it was a 5 hp, but agin thanks a bunch, one other question i was wondering does anyone know where i could find out the year model of the boat, none of the tags have it just a model number...."

Made by Evinrude in 1941 [coul

Made by Evinrude in 1941 [could be 1942 also]. 3.3 HP. The 378 in the serial is the Evinrude model.

"Monark has been around since

"Monark has been around since 1959. Now called Starweld by Starcraft. At least according to my search for Monark boats. If it has a state registration number you could try the state. Minnesota will tell you the information it has as to how it was registered in Minnesota if it has the Minnesota registration, even if the tags are expired."

I have a
Clinton 127cc 5.5 HP

I have a
Clinton 127cc 5.5 HP
MODEL K550 6000A
Ser. 158659
I am looking for a owner/parts manual. It may be the same as a 5.5 HP Sea King manual. thos outboard has been settind unattended for several years but seems in good order. if anyone could email me a pdf of just the diagrams or parts it would be helpful.
thanks Randy

i have an HD25 (1946-49) johnson 2.5hp sea horse that leaks gas from the needle, and probably needs an impeller, also i have a 1949 montgomery wards sea king 5hp that i just started dismantleing, probably gonna need carb parts too, any info on these matters is greatly appreciated! the johnson is-model HD25 serial#852977 and the gale (omc) is model# 94GG9014A serial# 293549, really anything you can tell me is wonderful, these are neat old motors & are my first boat motor experiences,lol, i also just got a cruise&carry, it runs too but needs carb work, (im obviously no carb man...lol) thanks!!

The HD25 is a 1950 model. The Montgomery motor was made by Gale (part of OMC). The people over at http://www.aomci.org/ can provide lots of help on these two motors. The impeller for the HD25 is available at this site as part #300583. The fuel from the needle sounds like the packing needs to be replaced. You might try just tightening up the nut but the packing is likely damaged. Run the HD25 on a 16:1 fuel/oil mix.

I have a 1957 Sea King 5HP Model #GG9003A, I would like to run on my old 12 ft. Lone Star. Anyways, I'm having trouble keeping it running. She'll fire up for a few seconds and then die. I have a suspect condenser that will be replaced as soon as I can get my hands on a new replacement. New plugs gapped at .035 and points gapped at .020. To get it running, I have to hold the prime knob over until it floods gas and then she'll fire for a short spurt. There wasn't a fuel filter on it until I installed one. I haven't gotten into the carb yet but I'm afraid thats coming. Anyone ever come across a problem like this before on this engine? What's are the guts of the carb like? Is it complicated?
Bill

I have a 1963 GG 18801A Sea king - which is made by Gale. I actually have the same issue - I've taken the carb off and rebuilt it. It's really rather simple. But it still won't stay running for more than 20 seconds. Took the flywheel cover off and both of the coils are in very bad shape, probably fried. I'm going to order new ones with the hopes that it takes care of the problem. It seems like Laings Outboards has a good supply of parts fr these older motors. You can Google them.

Lou

Well, I got my Sea King Five running today after priming the cylinders. Now that I've had a chance to play with it, I regret that it is painfully apparent the well-intending previous owner has sufficiently modified the throttle linkage (jury rigged) to the point that I'm not interested in investing the $$ to put it back to normal--assuming that's possible. Thus, if anyone here wants a free motor to canibalize for parts, you can have it. I live in the SF Bay Area. Come get it, and it's yours.

Lou, Have you seen Doug Penn's Youtube.com demonstration for checking out old outboard motor coils? It might be worth the effort to check them out first. Just do a search on Youtube for Doug Penn. How did you go about cleaning out your carb ports? Did you use solvents?
I've got one condenser that is rusted and nasty looking but am going to replace both of them, as soon as the replacements get here from Ebay. Keep me posted as to how you make out with your unit. I'll do the same here!
Bill

Last edited:
Re: "I have a 45gg-9015a mongomery

"I have a 45gg-9015a mongomery ward seaking 5hp i know that it is a 1954 made by gale mod 5d10 but i cant find any parts manuals, the motor has good compression but cant really test any farther because i dont know which spark plugs i need. if any one could help me that would be great."
I also have a 45gg-9015a with the orginal parts manual. It lists the part number as 200-322 for a cost of 85 cents. This motor has been in the attic for 26 years. Just recently brought it from dads house. I have not tried to get it running yet.

Re: '54 Sea King 5hp

Hey all, I'm looking for sources for information on a 1954 Sea King 5hp motor. Model; 45GG-9014A
It has been sitting unused for over 20 years and I'm hoping to find some diagrams before I begin tearing into it to clean it.

I see some folks here in this thread have mentioned access to PDF files...
Can you help with this motor?

So far... I found a book source for service manual and parts catalog, but they are very expensive.
http://www.outboardbooks.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=models.main&year=1954&ID=127958

Last edited:
Re: "Hi,
I've been reading th

"Hi,
I've been reading these posts with a great deal of interest. Recently (Oct. 20, 2007) I was scuba diving in Lake Minnetonka when in about 7 feet of water I discovered a Montgomery Ward model#35GG-9015A Sea King 5 motor laying on the bottom. I brought the motor home with me. The lake has caused some corrosion and the gas cap is missing but I would think that this motor could be used for parts. It must have been running very well before it went to the bottom of the lake because it still has part of the boat in its grip. Does anyone have advise on what I should do with this motor? 612-221-1282"
I would squart some trans fluid in each cyl and let it sit over night and see if it will trun over. I got a motor that had been under water for I don't know how long and one cyl was full of water and rust. Soked it over night and got it to turn over. The went though the carb and check points. Got it back togather put some fuel in the carb and turn it over a few times with out the plugs. put the plugs back in and it fired right up. Then checked compressinon and was 120lb in each. So give it a try.
Mike aka pathfinderz1

Re: I just inherited an ancient MW

I have a chance to buy one like yours was hoping maybe to get a picture of yours to compare it to
my email is [email protected] all the searching i have done confirms eveything
on yours and mine my serial is 378 00387 model 14EA8823A the 14 is the yr backwards so there both 1941 made by evinrude for Mongomery Wards 3.3hp 2 cyl. the one im looking at is rough so i'm hoping yours looks more like it should. Thanks in advance if you respond.

I just inherited an ancient MW Sea King:

Model# 14EA-8823A Twin Cylinder
Serial# 378 00922

Any information regarding this motor is greatly appreciated. Not sure if it runs yet.

Re: I just inherited an ancient MW

I just acquired a 5hp Montgomery ward sea king. Only markings are model # k5003108c serial #1050664 type xtv52250 Clinton engines corp. What all can you tell me about it. The engine itself appears to be air cooled but it has the holes and such in the lower unit that makes you think its water cooled. Also it doesn't have an air filter housing? it has two screws on either side of the carb where one would bolt up but then the choke lever goes over top the flange that a filter housing would seal? I can take pictures if needed on that one. Are carb. rebuild kits still availiable for these?

Re: I've got 1 45GG-9015A I&#3

I ahve sea king 5 model# gg18801a I would like to know what year it is. I am pretty sure it is a gale because of gg in searial#

Back