Logo

Unknown year model 1400 140hp Mercury with gas drift out of intake

Q

Quang Nguyen

"Dear good fellas,
Please hel

"Dear good fellas,
Please help me fix my motor. It's an 140hp Mer outboard between 1972-1978. The motor runs fine but has gas drifting out of the top intake where the choke butterfly is (sorry know not the tech term). The history of this motor is that the owner had been running on it for quite awhile with no mixture, but just pure gasoline. Does this cause major damage at later time.
Currently, it's hazardous because it drifts lots of gas and it can catch on fire.
I am trying to change the impellar next. But that won't help me hit the water without fixing the leaking. Please help.
Thank you,
Q."

"A 2 stroke will run real nice

"A 2 stroke will run real nice on straight gas for a little while - you say it has been that way for a while, I suspect quite a bit of wear has occurred and you are lucky the motor hasn't totally seized or blown already. It's impossible to even begin to speculate what damage has been done. Get a manual and start with a step by step check of the entire motor, you may be able to salvage it if you're lucky..."

"Thank you, Mr. Graham for you

"Thank you, Mr. Graham for your advice.
I think I will let it go for parts and not minding the impellar any more.
I don't know how to check and that only leaves me bad judgement.
Again, thank you.
Quang"

"Mike, A '77 Merc 1500 is

"Mike, A '77 Merc 1500 is identical to your motor. Earlier Merc 1500 are very close and 115HP Mercs are also pretty close for used parts swap. If you have a distributor, you are likely the last year for that, but all distributors will fit, with some customization.

I recently blew up my '77 1500, so I may have some parts for you. I am in Southern NJ."

"I'm looking for the tilt

"I'm looking for the tilt bracket (mine is cracked where the lift cylinders attach,) and a trim unit with controls, pump, hydrualic lines, and wiring harness. I can send pics if you need to see if the parts will work. And any other parts that may wear out that are hard to get."

Back