Logo

Buying new stringer outdrive need help

T

Tyler Maniez

"I bought a 1976 bayliner Skag

"I bought a 1976 bayliner Skagit with a 190HP Ford V8 attached to a electric shift OMC stringer drive awhile back. Well the upper gear housing is locked up (gears are all messed up), so I found a whole stringer outdrive near my house on ebay, here is the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/omc-1970s-v8-electric-shift-outdrive_W0QQcmdZView ItemQQcategoryZ26455QQihZ003QQitemZ130117822573QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

This unit is electric shift, it was bolted to a V8, and it has the steering gear I need, but what about the gears in the upper housing? I know these things can have different gears in the upper housing but is it going to affect/not work if the gear ratio is alittle different from the stringer drive that is attached to my Ford V8 now or does it not really matter (it pretty much will work with all V8s)? Also what does it mean that it says it is a "Long Profile"? Any help with this would be great!!"

"The picture looks like a clos

"The picture looks like a close match. Design of the Exhaust Housing is right for the era as is the water intake. It appears to be a high profile indicating use with a V8 Engine. The Upper Gear Case Ratio was typically 21/16 for that time. Saw this ebay Item myself. If it indeed does work, it is a good deal. I would give a good once over, ie seperate the Upper and Lower and inspect for possible maintenance and pressure test both upper and lower for seal leakage and replace the Pump Housing and Impeller with a complete Kit. A little concern with the Ball Gear but hard to get a close look at it with the pictures. Pretty clean looking unit considering some that I have seen. Hope this helps."

Lynwood David that link answer

Lynwood David that link answered my question exactly!! I wanted to know how the ratios matched up to horsepower and that linked spelled it out nicely. Thanks for the input I talked to the guy and he said it was big V8 so I can't go wrong here.

Glad to help. Imagine my surpr

Glad to help. Imagine my surprise on mine when I looked at that same table only to find my Gear Ratio was a 21/17 for a 1975 OMC Stringer 225HP. That gear ratio was not used until the 80's. Sometimes you think you have things figured out only to find something you did not even think about. My adventure continues also.

Back