Logo

15 hp on 12b Aluminum Boat

rfuse2

"I picked up a 1955 Evinrude 1

"I picked up a 1955 Evinrude 15hp tiller for a song (less than it takes to fill my car with gas!) It runs awesome. The only small boat I have is a 12' Starcraft Starlite aluminum boat rated for 7.5 hp. All the people I have talked to said this motor would be fine on the boat. I'm afraid it would not be safe. What's your thoughts on this in situation in general. Obviously, overpowering a boat is not a wise idea, not looking for legal advice ... just opinions.

Thanks in advance,
Russ"

"I have a 25 hp on an 8 footer

"I have a 25 hp on an 8 footer, so... Kinda heavy but it will work just fine--assuming the transom is in good shape.

Jeff"

"Bottom line, I picked it up b

"Bottom line, I picked it up because it was a good deal. (I'm a pack rat that way! Ha!) Originally, I was thinking a kicker motor for my 16' Four Winns. But there's no way it would fit on the transon with the 85hp on there. I usually just cruise around with my trolling motor just fine on the 12'. My dad is convinced I should put it on there. Who knows, maybe I'll be alot happier.

I bet that 8'er absolutely flies with that 25hp on there. Do you just have to be careful about turning and the angle you hit the waves at?

Russ"

"Depends on the boat.
I have

"Depends on the boat.
I have a 12' cartopper that is rated for a 6HP. A 6HP will barely plane it. A 7.5HP will barely plane it. Yet, with a 9.9 it is an uncontrollable death machine. Totally unsafe.... so, just be ready for anything.... wear your life jacket and adapt a lanyard switch.
I got tossed from my inflatable with a 20HP once....I was glad I had adapted the old 20 with a lanyard switch..."

Back