Logo

Johnson model #rebuilt 115help Joe

kenny

" This group has been helpfull

" This group has been helpfull, it's nice to know other folks are out there scratching their heads over outboard problems. Heres my latest. I bought this 115 johnson a week ago, it was totally rebuilt from top to bottom and freshly painted however there is no model & serial plate or sticker anywhere. The guy said it's a '90 115 hp. It has t&t. It had a vro unit but has been removed. When ordering parts, there are perhaps 4 Different model #'s to choose from. I feel stupid standing at the parts counter without a model #. Which would you choose, and what do the numbers and letters mean exactly? Thanks again, Kenny "

"Kenny.... Usually there would

"Kenny.... Usually there would be a plate on the left transom bracket with the Model & Serial number, and later on instead of a plate there would be a sticker on the swivel bracket (the main housing that the steering tube and the shift rod passes through). Apparently from what you've said, they don't exist. Look on top of the powerhead (block), usually on the port (left) side near the head gasket. There should be a core plug (looks like a small freeze out plug) there about the size of a quarter. That core plug will also have the Model & Serial number on it. In your case, the Model number should be something like.... J115MLESB, J115TLESB, J115TXESB, or a number similar to them. The "J"=Johnson, The "115"=Horsepower, The ES=90 (1990). The other letters/numbers would stand for the shaft length, whether it was PTT or not, etc. Without the model number, one would have no idea not only what year the engine is, but also what horsepower it may be.

Joe
"

" Hi ,, I have a 1970 Chrysler

" Hi ,, I have a 1970 Chrysler, 45HP, model 457HA,It ran OK until the water pump quit, the motor overheated, enough to scorch the paint on the cyl. head,I shut the motor down as soon as i noticed the smoke from the paint.I've changed plugs,am still getting spark, when the piston comes to the top of it's stroke,but no fuel seems to be getting to the cylinders.Plenty of fuel in the carb.It will backfire through the exhaust periodically, as the starter spins the motor. It has electronic ignition. How do I get this motor running,,,WIFE is watching!!!! HELP!!! Thanks ;)) "

" Sorry Joe,, Im a first-timer

" Sorry Joe,, Im a first-timer here, I'll try to do better in the future,, but if you happen to know what's going on with this motor, I'd be most grateful for any help.. Thanks and sorry, again, to intrude on your place,, Good Luck to you,,,John "

"John.... It's not my plac

"John.... It's not my place. I'm just a visitor here, same as you. On the previous page where all the outboard questions are listed (use your back button to get there), when there, hit "Page Down" or your "End" key which will take you to the bottom of that page. You'll see a button there where you can list a new conversation (question) to list your question properly and in turn obtain replies from others that are knowledgeable about your engine. As it now stands, you're listed under comments related to a 1990 115hp Johnson.

However.... although Chrysler products are not my line of expertise, having a engine get that hot has no doubt damaged the head gasket and it will require replacing. Also check for melted wiring which may be shorting out, or wires that may have broken.... and install a complete water pump kit, not just an impeller. Now, list your question as I've mentioned above and I'm sure you'll hear from others that are more experienced in the Chrysler outboard line. Be sure to ask for bolt torque specifications (head bolts). Sorry I couldn't be of more help.

Joe
"

Back