Logo

More Questions on the 1951 10HP Model QD12

K

Kirk Thiel

Two Questions
1.What should

Two Questions
1.What should the points gap be set at and where should the spark advance lever be set when doing this (if it matters).
2. This motor has a two line pressure tank. The valve system on the top of the tank is pretty beat up and leaks thru the push button . can I substitute with a conventional tank and if so how.

" 1 - Points set to .020 when

" 1 - Points set to .020 when the flywheel key is aligned with the fiber portion of the points that rubs against the cam.

2 - The pressure tank has a diaphram within it that may be causing the leakage. There are a couple different diaphrams. Since it's leaking and you have nothing to lose, dismantle it to see which one you have. Various members or myself may still have one in stock.

The conventional tank will not work unless the tank is higher than the engine (gravity fed), or a fuel pump is installed on the engine. I don't have the installation information on installing the fuel pump if that's possible. Perhaps someone else here may jump in with that.

NOTE: It's better to continue on with the same post so as not to lose any info pertaining to the engine. However since you've already started anew with this one, continue on with this post unless the subject changes.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC) "

Joe
I dissasembeled the valv

Joe
I dissasembeled the valve assembly on the top of the tank and the diaphram is good. However I think its leaking around the primer push button shaft. It is nothing more than a metal shaft threaded on the end that runs thru two washers with the dyaphram sandwiched in between and a nut threaded on to hold it all together.( Looks like the button itself is rotting away) I think that chamber is isolated from the rest of the valve assembly even though the diaphram and the remaining gasket are all one piece. I know the air return line running to the tank uses air from the engine to pressurize the tank forcing fuel through the second hose. The problem is air/ fuel leaking past the diaphram out the primer button hole.
Could I pull that primer button out and cap off the hole then install a primer bulb on the fuel line. would that work? My only other alternative is to purchase that whole top assembly and I dont know if they are still available
Thanks for your help

" Kirk.... The fuel primer bul

" Kirk.... The fuel primer bulb idea is an interesting one. I don't know if it would work or not, but it sounds like it should. Worth a try, nothing to lose.

Joe (30+ Years With OMC) "

I want to start repairs with

I want to start repairs with two new coils. can someone tell me where I can get them or substitutes. I dont think I have a dealer near me that deals with stuff that old.

Back