Logo

1984 99hp Quit running wonbt start

hummer

"This problem has a history:

"This problem has a history:
Last spring we (Dad and I) had our 1984 9.9hp elec start Johnson tuned up at a nearby shop. We put the pontoon boat in the water and it stalled after a few minutes. We could then only get the motor to run (badly) with full choke. We took the motor back to the shop and they said it was fine -- probably bad gas. We replaced the tank, fuel line w/ primer, and fuel mixture. We could not get the motor to fire. Frustrated, we let the motor sit for the rest of the season.
Shooting from the hip we replaced the fuel pump this spring. We tried to start and had no luck. We then confirmed fuel delivery and spark. Desperate, we used ether (I know ... don't do it) and the engine fired and ran at idle with full choke. We even got it to run for a while (less than 5 minutes) very roughly. We bought a SELOC manual and carb kit to rebuild the carb. The float bowl was <u>flaky</u> rusty inside. Other than that, we did not notice any noticeable blockages. We cleaned everything with carb cleaner and compressed air and had fluids moving through all orifices. Why is there not a replacement float available for this model?
We put everything together and started right off. Awesome! We started and stopped several times with no trouble. Everything sounded good and throttle response was good. Then after leaving the ramp 5-7 minutes later the motor died under WOT and will not restart -- cranks but no fire. Of course stranded on the lake.
We are at wits end. We keep nickel and diming ourselves, and the boat still sits at the dock. What can be the cause/fix?"

have a 2000 9.9 Johnson outboa

have a 2000 9.9 Johnson outboard has no spark .Is it the power pack or the coil. will crank but will not start.

Ben the safety clip is for the

Ben the safety clip is for the 2000 model 9.9.Yours does not have it.Check to see that you have spark that will jump a gap of 7/16" on each cylinder.Check compression.Have you looked at the waterpump impeller?

"Today we checked spark -- 1/2

"Today we checked spark -- 1/2", compression is 120psi on both cylinders, and the impeller was replaced just before the shop service (good water stream as well). The plugs were wet, but not apparently flooded when checking compression. The plugs were new with the tune-up and still look clean. Today, after several tries, we got the motor to run for 30-40 seconds. It started to bog, so I throttled up, about 10 seconds later it fizzled and stalled out."

look at the fuel line is there

look at the fuel line is there any dryrot to where air could be getting into the line. so your really not getting the fuel needed?

"This May Help!!!!!!!!!!!

"This May Help!!!!!!!!!!!

Al Penner
Visitor
Posted on Monday, May 21, 2007 - 11:28 pm:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I and 9.9 were on the lake yesterday and had to keep priming the fuel line bulb to keep the engine from stalling.It would do this if trolling or any other throttle posotion.What a pain ,my arm is very sore! Is this a fuel pump problem,and if so how do I verify that, or is it more likely a ext.fuel line/tank problem ? Thanks ,

Joe Reeves
Username: joereeves

Post Number: 4829

Posted on Tuesday, May 22, 2007 - 12:10 am:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In pumping that fuel primer bulb, you are acting as a manual fuel pump. If you have no obvious fuel leaks, you can safely assume that the fuel pump is faulty. Replace it."

"outside possibilty: if the sh

"outside possibilty: if the shop had the flywheel off, they may have not properly torqued the flywheel nut. If this is the case, you could have a partially sheared flywheel key. This will put the ignition in an "out of time" position."

Back