Logo

Chrysler Crown replacement

friendship_ii

"Hello,
I have a 1936 classic

"Hello,
I have a 1936 classic cruiser. I run a 1949 Chrysler Crown 110. It was last overhauled in 1983. Although the motor has run fine since we purchased the boat 4 years ago (knock on wood), it is showing signs of wear. We are looking to rebuild or replace while we are in the position to do it on our terms--not having to haul it or tow it to a boat yard becuase the engine went.
As you know, the engine is a HUGE beast. To rebuild, we will have to tear the cabin apart to get it back in. If we replace it with a new/newer engine, we can take the motor apart where it sits, and easily put in a newer, smaller motor without as much cabin work. (Parts availability is a concern.) A new engine comes with the task of a custom exhaust, transmission, shaft, etc. Since the boat won't go more than 8 knots because it is a brick in the water, I imagine we can get away with a relatively small engine. I would prefer gas, since all around the costs will be cheaper. I am in the Seattle area.
Any and all comments and advice are appreciated."

"Jennie; I think I commented o

"Jennie; I think I commented on this one another time, but I'd be interested to hear how this goes along. You have the displacement hull design, with a max hull speed, an engine with a given torque and max rpm's, and a prop to match. My guess is that you'll find a nice, smaller engine that has a very similar torque curve, and be happy, but it'll be a diesel. I don't know of any modern gas engine with that kind of low-rpm power, and it just doesn't seem like a V6 spinning along with a smaller pitch prop would answer for a displacement hull and those calm, tranquil passages. I have a chart somewhere with the torque curves for the Chrysler inline engines of 1950 (Ace, Crown,, etc.) that might be a reference for you - let me know if you want it. Any sailboaters with ideas?? Another thing, I've had my Crown apart, and that block is a serious chunk of iron - it won't be a lot lighter than the intact engine for snaking it out of your cabin."

Back