Logo

CRUSADER 454 XL STALLS OUT WONbT RESART

• Thread starter "RLJ, SWAN BOAT CLUB"
  • Start date
R

"RLJ, SWAN BOAT CLUB"

" I have a 93 Silverton 34x wi

" I have a 93 Silverton 34x with twin 454 XL Crusaders, v-drives. The starboard engine starts when cold, runs fine for a few minutes, then stalls. It won't restart after trying for a few hours, but the next day it starts, runs fine for 3 to 10 minutes, then stalls. I've installed new; a water separator/filter, distributor cap, rotor, and plugs. I've swapped from the port engine; the coil, coil wire, pick-up coil module (not the pick-up coil itself) and alternator. I've check the carburetor? gas line screens (clean) and the jets all squirt plenty of gas when throttling. The choke seems fine. My next step was to change the pick up coil under the rotor but I'm not sure how (does the distributor have to be pulled?), and was hoping someone may have had this problem with a simpler solution.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, RLJ from SBC "

"RLJ, when the engine stalls

"RLJ, when the engine stalls and won't restart does it have spark and gas? My bet is that one of those two is not working at that moment.

One way to tell quickly is to pump the throttle just as the engine dies. If it kicks back to life for a second or two, it's probably a fuel problem unless the choke has closed. If it doesn't respond at all, ignition would be the first target.

Pull a plug and check for spark when cranking the dead engine. Remember the ignition system includes the ignition switch and wiring.

"

Back