Logo

Bleed power trim question

bradccool

"as you all have heard, I have

"as you all have heard, I have been installing a new power trim motor on my 1979 90hp Mercury inline 6. I have everything installed and the motor trims up and down wonderfully, but I have not bled the system yet, I actually purchased a repair manual and it states that I have to remove the hydraulic cylinders and then pull the "down" bleed screw" and press the trim down button a few seconds and watch the oil until the bubbles stop, it's the same process for the up bleeds screw. My question is....why do I have to removed the hydraulic cylinders from the engine, cant this be done while it's on the engine? Your advise/opinions would be great!"

"Bradley,

I do not know of

"Bradley,

I do not know of a single mechanic that follows those instructions about bleeding the system.

The air will get out of the system after a few cycles. It all ends up in the reservoir.

Tony"

"Brad, Although I respect Ton

"Brad, Although I respect Tony's advice, I have had to bleed my trim cylinders on my '77 Merc 1500 on several occasions. If you remove a trim cylinder turn it around (bottom bleed screw out)and reinstall the upper bolt, the cylinder bleed screw will face up. Now you can bleed it correctly. Repeat for the other cylinder."

Back