Logo

Pertronix Distributor does not fit LM318

27_express

"I have a problem puting a new

"I have a problem puting a new Pertronix marine distributor (for Chry. 318) in my LM318. It is basicly the correct distributor however the diameter of the first step (from the bottom going up) is larger than the diameter in the sleeve that the distributor fits in. Is there some quirk that certain engines had different dist. with different diam. bases and therefore different sleeves? If so, does one somehow find a different sleeve to put in but what model does one look for.? It looks like it has enough meat to be machined out from the 1.2" currently to hte 1.49" of hte new distributor but I really don't like that idea besides it is a big hassle and added expense. Any input at all would be wonderful, Thanks."

Are you saying there's a s

Are you saying there's a sleeve pressed into the block where the distributor goes in?

Jeff

"It is not exactly pressed in,

"It is not exactly pressed in, just a simple friction fit. It raises the distributor aprox. 1/2" and extends into the block the same depth as the distributor shaft."

"Oh! I've heard of that b

"Oh! I've heard of that before (not that I know why they used it). That "thing" is removable, after which your new dist should drop right in.

Jeff"

"No, if you remove it the dist

"No, if you remove it the distributor base sits 1/2 up in the air. I guess I have to get the existing sleeve machined out or make a new one. Adds a lot of expense to a simple job and makes the Pertronix somewhat less than plug and play. What kind of boat is that in your picture Fast Jeff?"

"Sorry about that. The boat i

"Sorry about that. The boat is a '85 Marinette, 32 foot Sedan of aluminum construction: light, low maintenace, and tough.

Jeff"

So is your block different tha

So is your block different than a regular 318 without the spacer? Is the pertronix dist the same length as the original unit?

will

The distributor is identical i

The distributor is identical in every respect except the top of the neck where it clamps into the block. The pertronix is thicker at that point than my dist. I am not sure if my block is any different. I am guessing that maybe it rotates reverse and there are additional gears to drive the dist. in the normal direction and this causes everything to sit higher hence the fitting that essentially lifts the dist. up 1/2" or so. I was hoping a wise man on this site could shed some light. I have since machined a new spigot to fit the Pertronix but so much for plug and play.

I had the same problem with my

I had the same problem with my 318. It turns out that the engine rotation is reverse from automotive use. The collar that inserts first is there to keep the gear in place and not ride up out of the cam gear due to the reverse rotation. So the sleeve has to stay ant you can't use the pertronix unit. I had to get the Mallory distributor from the Chrysler Marine supplier. This unit has the electronic built in and has the correct base mount for the sleeve. Hope this helps and wasn't too late.

Back