Logo

Evinrude 150 v6 mid 80s No spark

T

telcliuk

" checked for spark on all 6 c

" checked for spark on all 6 cylinders,
nothing. "

" Disconnect the red elec plug

" Disconnect the red elec plug at the engine and check spark again with the plugs out. If you now have spark, replace the ignition switchc. What's the model number of the engine?

Joe (30+ Years With OMC) "

" I got are strong spark on al

" I got are strong spark on all 6, Thankyou.
The numbers on the metal disk are
i can not see any more numbers.I have 2 remote units one is on the boat and the other brand new and I fail to get a spark using either of these units. I bought the engine from a shop as a runner but it has had electrical work done to it.
Is it possible that as both remotes dont seem to fire up the engine that there is an error in the wiring somewhere? Is there a diagram available ? "

" The engine is a 1977 175hp E

" The engine is a 1977 175hp Evinrude. The remote (control box assy) unit must have a plug of the same color (red), otherwise there is a danger of applying 12 volts to the wrong engine components.

The usual cause of no spark when the remote unit is connected, is a shorted ignition switch, but it is very strange that two units would have a faulty switch.

Also if both control boxes have a kill switch incorporated, you may not have the cap & lanyard installed on either. This would energize the kill circuit, eliminating the ignition circuit.

There are two (2) "M" (magneto) terminals on the back of the igniiton switch. With the switch OFF, the terminals are connected. With the switch ON the two are disconnected.

" You were right. The old remo

" You were right. The old remote ignition switch has faild and the new control unit had the kill switch left inside the case. Now when i turn the key i have noticed that the top right spark plug is not sparking only 5 are. I removed the coil and swapped it with one of the others and it sparked so i gather i need a new coil. I have an Evinrude v4 140hp oil injection whith a big end gone, one of the coils on that has the number "582106 0A 9R8" . Would that be alright to replace the one on the v6?, the number on one of the new coils on the v6 engine is "PRUJREX WZ48 25 To fit omc 582091" "

" The ignition system of the t

" The ignition system of the two engines are basically the same in their electronic design, just physically different. If the wires will reach, fit, whatever.... it should work.

" I now have 6 Sparks, Thankyo

" I now have 6 Sparks, Thankyou. I keep turning the engine over and over it has tried to fire a couple of times but now the battery is flat. Would the engine being left on its side in the shop have effected it? "

" If the engine has been sitti

" If the engine has been sitting awhile, the carbs are probably fouled and will require cleaning. The engine must crank over at a minimum of 300 rpms in order to fire the ignition, meaning that the battery must be A1 and all connections be clean and wrench or plier tight.

Steady cranking of over 20 seconds at a time may result in having the starter armature fail due to heat causing the soldered areas to melt down etc.

" Your a star, I cleaned out t

" Your a star, I cleaned out the carbs with some cleaner that needed a small mortgage then used a starter unit to help the battery and it roared into action. Thanks "

" Two quick Q's: First, i

" Two quick Q's: First, is it possible to somehow bypass the kill switch on the control box so that my ignition will work w/o it? I've run my own wires from a different key switch/cable/motor set. Second, I am having trouble finding a flywheel key for my 1979 Evenrude 175. I just need a good on-line parts dealer that I can order parts from. Know of one?

Thanks,

John "

" Joe,

Would you happen to

" Joe,

Would you happen to know why my voltage at the ignition switch shows a lower voltage than the where the battery lead comes in? I can't get enough voltage to crank the starter. I'm losing some somewhere. My engine is a '79 Evenrude 175.

Thanks!

John "

" I have a 1984 150 horse evin

" I have a 1984 150 horse evinrude VRO that was starting with no problem then it just would not fire up. The plugs look varnished & I will replace them, but the ignition switch seems to be a real problem with these engines. Is this easy to replace? Is this the part where the key is or is it on the engine? Thanx Kip "

Back