Logo

Rebuilt Carb Now what

juggie472

"Well I just got back from Ira

"Well I just got back from Iraq and want to put the boat in the water and It wont run. I had it winterized buy a local boat shop but after two years in storage it was all gummed up in the fuel system. I played with it for a while but no luck and time. I took it back to the boat shop and they rebuilt the carb for me. They couldnt get it to start so I picked up the boat since they had no space for it. They said I need a new inline electric fuel pump. My question is this? I can hard wire the pump to a battery and it pumps just fine. I replaced the plugs that were all fouled up and got it running but the carb still boils over with fuel or it doest get any fuel at all. I am getting the new pump but at 212 bucks I really dont know if it is bad and the carb is still acting like it did before they rebuilt it. The boat only has 80 hours on it,, some one help me out here...."

"Jason:

Those guys either d

"Jason:

Those guys either did a crappy job rebuilding your carb, or the fuel pump you used to test it generated way too much pressure. (About 5 psi is all a carb like that will tolerate.)

Have you pumped out your tanks? No doubt the stuff in there is loaded with water and of very low octane.

Good luck, and thank you for serving our country.

Jeff"

Well the fuel pump seems to wo

Well the fuel pump seems to work intermittently. I am going to bypass the oil pressure switch to see if that may be causing it. I bench tested the pump and it works with no issues.I dont want to just throw a new pump in because the mechanics say I need one. Thanks for the response.

"Jason
I am a little perplexe

"Jason
I am a little perplexed that the "Boat Shop" you took your boat to managed to rebuild your carburetta but they couldnt get your boat going for you ?????

I suppose if I had no space for your boat and I couldn't get it going I would give it back to you too ...............

Is it just me or does something sound wrong here,

If your carburetta is still boiling over as you put it after they have overhauled it, I wonder wether or not their overhaul included a new needle and seat and a proper measure and adjustment of float hight, or did they just wing it and throw a gasket kit in the carby and go "she will be right".
You may well have a fuel pump problem or a problem in the supply chain from your tank to carby, but I am a bit suspect of your "Rebuilt Carb".
Cheers
Peter C"

"Well, Everyones suspicion abo

"Well, Everyones suspicion about the "Boat Shop" were correct. I took the carb apart and the float was in upside down! I also pulled the "jets cluster out of the center of the carb and it was still all gummed up so 130 bucks later and I got a half A#@ed rebuild. I put it together and with the help from some other posts I read I set the float so that with the top half of the carb held upside down the float end sits higher than the pivot end and I put it together and she runs! Now for the fuel pump issue. I can hard wire the fuel pump and she runs just fine. If I plug it back into the wiring harness it stops pumping fuel and dies when the carb runs dry. What should I check next. I already tried bypassing the oil pressure switch and it didnt change anything. Is there a fuse somewhere. The ground wire tests out good, im at a loss?"

"Update, After calling the mar

"Update, After calling the marina I bought the boat from, the parts manager helped me trouble shoot over the phone and while doing that I found two ground wires at the back of the boat that were not attached to a stud on the engine block. Amazing.. I found all the washers in the sump area but didnt find a nut. I bought one at wally world and put it all together...viola fixed. Now my question is " why was the boat shop pushing a new fuel pump when I told them I bench tested it and it works. They screwed up the rebuild on the carb and I had them winterize the boat before deployment only to have the fuel system gum up. It makes me wonder if they even winterized my boat?" I will be avoiding this little boat shop and telling others to do the same."

"Jason
You have learnt a val

"Jason
You have learnt a valuble lesson about where to spend your money in the future.
As in any industry there are the shonky's and there are the good guys.
Dont always just asume someone knows what they are doing, when it comes to your boat, ask around some other boaties and get their recomendations, you will soon sort out where to go and where not to go.
Glad you got it sorted
Regards
Peter C"

"Jason:
Thanks for serving;

"Jason:
Thanks for serving; proud to know you did. It is apparent the shop did not know what they were doing. Perhaps the carb rebuilder will give you your money back if you demonstrated for them how you open a can of W.A. in Iraq.
Did my time 69-72 with 44th Ord., Okinawa, Japan
Guy"

"It depends on their defin. of

"It depends on their defin. of winterization. They wanted to sell you a fuel pump because they are a parts swapper shop--replace anything and everything since the customer won't know any better.

Do as Fastjeff said by draining the old fuel. Also put in one can of SEA FOAM per 15 gallons of pure gasoline--no gasohol. Sea Foam will clean out all fuel gum and varnish. CHECK YOUR OUTDRIVE OIL, ENGINE OIL AND POWER STEERING FLUID LEVELS. Guy"

I would love to be a fly on th

I would love to be a fly on the wall if you corner the workshop supervisor and ask him "politely" which way the float go's in before you ask him for your money back

Peter C

"The sad thing is, I put a too

"The sad thing is, I put a tool mark on the housing of the seat for the the float needle when I initialy looked at the boat. i had the carb rebuilt and the same mark is there so same needle and seat. I dont think they rebuilt any part of the carb. I have it running and thats all that matters. I do all my own work on stuff.. my dad is the same way and would drag me out into the garage when I was little and make me help him. I hated it then but I learned so much from him, I am my fathers son for sure.
I am finishing my basement and wanted the boat done before last weekend, you know, too many projects not enough time. I am taking it out today to do the first run in about two years. I have a friend who I helped find a boat for and its his first ever outing. So we will putt around and make sure our boats are good to go.
I like this board but I have a suggestion to everyone. I use these board for my boats and cars and home improvement etc. When the problem is solved you never hear from the person what exactly happened during troubleshooting or what exactly fixed it. So for everyone, make sure you update us dumb guys so the board is as informative as it can be. Again, great board, lots of good stuff in here. I'll be spreading the url around my friends here in Clarksville TN."

"Jason;
Your suggestion is ri

"Jason;
Your suggestion is right on the bubble. I have often wished more people would come back with a posting of what happened, and if and how their issue was resolved.
We can only hope.
Rod"

Back