Logo

1987 Johnson VRO 140 is not getting any spark or minimal spark to the 3rd cylinder

yginesta

"This problem has been happeni

"This problem has been happening for quite sometime. The motor runs pretty good if you don't push it. At lower RPMs in the river runs kind a rough, but gets by without shutting off. If you try to punch the lever all the way down it kinda chokes and has very little power. I took it to the mechanic the other day and they told me is was the power pack because the motor sometimes ran on 2 cyl and this was a symptom. I came home that day and bought and installed the new aftermarket power pack. Now the motor seems to sounds better when flushing it, but it is a pain to get it to turn on and Cyl 3 does not get any spark or barely gets some. I have switched the coil and the spark plug wire from cyl 1 to 3 and the problem still happens. I turn the motor on and I can take out all the spark plug wires with the motor feeling it, but when I take out cyl 3 its like if nothing happened.. I usually have to hold the throttle lever in neutral and rev it as soon as it turns on otherwise it stalls out. With the old power pack it used to turn on at key turn. I am going to try to put the old power pack back on the motor see if it starts as nice as it used to. Please let me know what I can do because I think the mechanics are trying to rip me off. Thanks in advanced!"

I would run a compression chec

I would run a compression check before I did anything else. Your symptoms sound like classic plugged carburetors to me.

Back