Logo

More Info 85HP 1969 Evinrude

J

Joseph Staley

" Joe, (or anyone else&#41

" Joe, (or anyone else)
I cleaned the carbs today and took the boat out on the lake. The engine ran fine for about 5 min. and then the problem started again. So I took the boat back home and immediately took the spark plugs out. They were Black. Also they would not jump 1/4 inch. If you remember, I had just put in new spark plugs. The carbs were not gummed up.. so I do not believe they were the problem. If you have any suggestions based on this information I would be very greatful. Thanks again
-Joseph "

"Joseph.... Cleaning the carbs

"Joseph.... Cleaning the carbs were not a waste of time as they should be in perfect condition anyway to assure that the engine does not run with a lean mixture, so rest easy with the amount of work you did there.

Running for five (5) minutes before encountering the problem, and especially with the problem resulting a poor spark with the plugs being black would lead me to think that the ignition coil was failing, resulting in weak ignition after the engine warms up. I'm assuming from what you've said that the spark exists but is weak. Unfortunately, unless one has a coil tester, the only way to check this out is to install another coil to see if it cures the problem.

Another thing I would check, just to eliminate the possibility, is the fuel that is in the carbs, to make sure that no water exists in your fuel supply. Removing the bottom screw on the side of the float chamber and draining out some fuel would tell the story there.

Joe
"

" Joe,
What exactly causes th

" Joe,
What exactly causes the spark plugs to turn black. I would have guessed that it had something to do with an oil residue. Thats what it seemed like to me when I removed the plugs. The spark does exist, but it will not jump a 1/4 gap. But no matter what... there is a problem with my spark plugs that I need to fix.. right? Thanks again for everything,
Joseph "

"Joseph.... There may be other

"Joseph.... There may be other causes but it has been my experience that whenever I encountered the black s/plug problem, it was due to weak ignition, no continuity in a coil wire, a break in the primary or secondary winding of a coil, things of that nature. And usually the blackness was more of a dry fluff type black coating rather than a very wet type black condition.

You mentioned having new s/plugs installed. What make and type are they.... and are they the same make and type as you were using previously?

Joe
"

" Joe,
I have installed new s

" Joe,
I have installed new spark plugs twice since I had the motor. Both times I have used the spark plugs required from the manual at Autozone. I believe they are champion #821. I am sure about the 821. So I am very confident that I have been using the correct spark plugs.

So the spark plug problem has nothing to do with excess oil in the gas/oil mixture? What is the ratio that I need to use anyways. I have been using a 16/1 ratio. I will take the engine to the shop again to see if I can have the coil tested. About how much would it cost to have the coil replaced? Is this something that I should be able to replace by myself? Once again, Thank you for your help.

-Joseph "

" Joe
I just wanted to add on

" Joe
I just wanted to add one more thing and see what you think. I just looked at the spark plugs again and the chamber where they go. There is a black liquid residue on the plugs and inside the chamber. After cleaning the liquid off, the plugs were still black which I had to scrape off. Just thought this might help.
Joseph "

" Hello I have 85 horse force

" Hello I have 85 horse force and when it is cold i start the motor and it starts and then i put it in Nutral sill stay running but when i put in gear it dies , all i need to make the idel go higher to make it stay on when i put in gear , but after warms up works ok , help please , ray "

"Joseph..... I have no idea as

"Joseph..... I have no idea as to what a Champion #821 is but what your engine calls for are "Champion L77V" spark plugs. Many of the higher horsepower OMC engines between from 1969/72 will not run properly on anything else. A few of them within that year range will run fine with L77JC4 s/plugs with a gap setting of .030 but the marjority of them require the "L77V" plugs. (Use the L77V)

Pertaining to the fuel/oil ratio.... I had no idea you were using a 16/1 ratio. That's way too much oil! Use a good quality 50/1 oil which is what your engine calls for (One pint of oil to six gallons of fuel). I can now understand why you're having such a problem fouling spark plugs.

Having the coil tested is really simple and there's no need to take the engine to the shop. There is one (1) wire leading from the coil to the terminal block (most likely a small blue one), and one (1) wire leading to ground (a small black one), and two (2) bolts attaching the coil to the bracket. Remove the two bolts and the one blue wire. The large black coil wire leading to the distributor cap has a screw on terminal on the end of it and can be unscrewed from the distributor cap.... or if you prefer, simply unscrew that large black lead from the coil itself. The coil has a pointed threaded prong within it where that wire simply screws into it to make a ideal contact.

If you've been using the wrong s/plugs, and especially after running with the wrong oil mixture.... to contradict myself, the coil may be perfectly okay, but it's still a good idea to be sure about it.

Joe
"

"Ray.... On the previous page

"Ray.... On the previous page where the various questions are posted, at the extreme bottom of the page is a "Button" entitled "Create New Conversation". That's where you should re-enter your question so that it appears as a title pertaining to you and your 1985 Force engine. As it stands, your question is listed under a column that pertains to a 1969 85hp Evinrude.

Joe
"

" Joe,
Thank you very much.

" Joe,
Thank you very much.
I will get new plugs tonight and a new fuel mixture. I will run the boat tomorrow or monday and will let you know how it goes. I appreciate your help.
Joseph "

"Joseph.... I'm curious. T

"Joseph.... I'm curious. Those spark plugs you mentioned (the Champion #821 plugs). Did it actually say 821 on the porcelain part of the spark plug? If not, what was imprinted there?

Joe
"

The plugs that I used were L7

The plugs that I used were L77JC4. That was what was printed on the porcelain. I went to three stores yesteday and couldn't find plugs # L77V. Only L77JC4. I bought four and gapped them to .030. The 821 was reference to the actual part # on the package. Haven't run the motor yet.
-Joseph

Back