Logo

Starving for fuel anti syphon valve or fuel pump

stigmen

"I took my boat out for the fi

"I took my boat out for the first time this year. It is a 1972 Lund with a 2.5L 4 cylinder. This is some of the items I replaced recently:

Plugs
filter in fuel pump(last year)
In-line fuel filter
Thermostat

It had a hard time pumping fuel to the motor during the first start this year. I primed it with a squirt can.

When I ran the motor at fuel throttle it would die. Back off the throttle for a bit and it would come back. I noticed the clear in line fuel filter had very little fuel in it. This problem happen a couple of times last year but I thought it was the choke closing when I was hitting waves at full throttle.

I brought it back to the dock and removed the pick up tube from the metal tank. I could not suck or blow from either end very easily. I took the fitting apart and found, from other posts, the anti-syphon valve. It had some crap in it so I cleaned it. I still could not suck or blow in the tube very easily so I removed the inners of the valve and reinstalled.

I started the boat with the fuel line off and could feel the pump sucking on my finger. I put the hose on the tank and the boat ran fine. Full throttle was not a problem. The clear in-line filter had more fuel in it and would add fuel every 5 seconds or so. I thought it would be full all the time but maybe it is only when the carb needs it.

Questions

Do I need to clean the part of the anti-syphon valve better - in the inside brass to ensure proper operation?

How do I know if the valve is working before I install it on the boat?

Should I not reinstall the valve since it is working fine? - It must be for something - saftey

Could the fuel pump be weak and it is not operating the valve correctly?

Any help would be great.

Thanks,
Dan}}"

"knock the guts back out of th

"knock the guts back out of the anti siphon valve, and leave them out. or replace with a hose barb."

just make sure to install a &#

just make sure to install a "positive shut-off device " on the tank should a hose break.. a fuel valve is acceptable for the CG Regs.

"I have a mercruiser 5.0 L wit

"I have a mercruiser 5.0 L with 2 bbl carb,the problem I have is over night the fuel line will loose its prime it will start by priming the carb I was wondering if it could have something to do with the anti siphone valve"

Back