Logo

Mercruiser 74 MPI Rebuild

gregash

I have a 99 Sea Ray 340 Dancer

I have a 99 Sea Ray 340 Dancer with twin 7.4 MPIs (v-drive). last season the engines would not start. my yard tells me that both engines have siezed due to condensation buildup that is caused by a defect in the design of the cooling system in these boats. Mercruiser is not willing to do anything. my dock said they could repair. but now they tell me that no rebuilt engines are available and they can only re-power the boat for twice the price!!!!

any advise? anyone knows of an engine remaufacturer for these engine types? anyone knows of a good repair facility in the northeast? thanks

"It's not a Mercruiser iss

"It's not a Mercruiser issue. I believe Searay retrofitted these boats with water lift mufflers and riser kits as a fix for this problem. Does your boat have the water lift mufflers?

Are you sure the ingestion wasn't due to riser gasket or manifold failure? Over the last year or so, I have seen a lot of engine failures in Mercruisers of that age when they are still equipped with the original exhaust manifolds/riser/elbows (they are overdue for replacement).

By the way, condensation can be almost totally eliminated by 30 seconds of 1,500 RPM operation just before engine shutdown.

Dave"

"I believe I still have the or

"I believe I still have the original exhaust system. my yard never advised me of the need to retrofit. At this point I am not sure of anything. my yard is very non-commital about anything that they say!

also, any advise as to where I can get the repairs done? I am in CT.

thanks again."

"We have one rebuilt engine in

"We have one rebuilt engine in stock, and the parts to rebuild another. If you are interested, give me a call. We are located in NY.

(315) 343-6030 M-F 8am-5pm"

When you say "your yard&#3

When you say "your yard" are you talking about the Searay dealer that originally sold the boat? That's who you should speak to.

My questions would be;
1) Do you have waterlift mufflers?
2) Do you have 3" or 6" riser kits installed?
3) Do you have closed cooling and does it include the manifolds?
4) (Most important!) What is the elbow height above the waterline?

"Dave n: The boat does not hav

"Dave n: The boat does not have the closed cooling system. The yard that I have the boat winterized/repaired is a Mercruiser dealer/repair center. I have talked to Mercruiser/Sea Ray and they don't care since it is out of warranty. never mind that the boat only has 200 hours and it was a defective cooling design to start with. I hear that other people have had the same response from Mercruiser.

Skip & Guy: thanks, I will look into this."

Ain't they sweethearts! L

Ain't they sweethearts! Lots of rebuilt long blocks out there for that motor. But I'd install the proper exhaust system first. Sorry. Gonna be expensive and time consuming.

Jeff

"Greg:
It only takes a lett

"Greg:
It only takes a letter to Mercruiser about your problem requesting their assistance in repairing your engines due to Mercruiser's knowledge of a problem which was not disemminated to its customers. List at the bottom of the letter: Copy to State Attorney General (their name).

Ask for a written response. If they refuse to help you or are telling you that it is out of warranty, file a complaint with the State Attorney General. Include any and all correspondence with the dealer and Mercuiser and any documentation of the known problem.

The Attorney General's office representative will open an investigation and contact Mercruiser about the known problem. The last thing that Merc. wants is the AG getting involved in any investigation about Mercs'. failure to advise customers of a potential engine damaging defective consumer product.
The Attorney General works wonders when you are in the right. Been there; done that.
Guy (former barracks lawyer or B.S.er)"

"Thanks Guy G. I have talked t

"Thanks Guy G. I have talked to an attorney and we are actively seeking out other owners who have had simillar problems, or even if they own a simillar boat/engines that have not been recalled, to possibly bring a class action against Sea Ray/Mercruiser. In the mean time, I will take up your suggestion and file a complaint with the State Attorney General. May be this will help."

"Greg,
You better do your hom

"Greg,
You better do your homework on this, I have been deposed as an expert witness in a similar case and these cases are almost impossible to win.

You better be prepared to answer this question; The boat had no issues during the first 6 or 7 years and suddenly developed a "defect" when the exhaust system was 2 years overdue for replacement?

Good luck.

Dave"

Back