Logo

15 hp Wards Seaking

R

Randall B

"Just bought a boat with a kic

"Just bought a boat with a kicker motor that the guy said was a chrysler. The model serial plate says Wards, Seaking 15 is on the Cowl? Which is right? are they all right?
Model number is listed as VWB 52122
The serial Number is 58X 3319
It is running pretty rough right now but the gas mix was looking way too heavy. I am thinking it needs to be 50:1 I am guessing the year as late 70's to the early 80's? Any advice appreciated as to Where to find parts manuals etc.... Heck even to just know what it is?"

"Both are right - Wards/Chrysl

"Both are right - Wards/Chrysler is all the same, just a different marketing name. I'll dig a bit for you and see if I can find a year to go with your model/serial numbers...."

"One more note to add, Chrysle

"One more note to add, Chrysler build these between 74 - 78 for Montgomery Wards. Earlier versions were built by Clinton engines. So I'm digging in "two different holes" for find which model you have..."

Thanks so much.
had a local

Thanks so much.
had a local mechanic tell me it was made by US marine in 84? I have never heard of US marine?
I ran a half a tank of gas mixed with quickleen through it in a tank in my garage. seemed to improve things a bit.
Went fishing this weekend and it failed to start out on the lake.

"U.S. Marine was a division of

"U.S. Marine was a division of the Brunswick Corporation. Aside from making pool tables they own a whole pile of Marine brand names including Mercury and Sea Ray to name just a couple. You will run accross a number of controls, gauges etc bearing the name U.S. Marine and were used with a very wide spectrum of products."

"No - Mercury and Chrysler nev

"No - Mercury and Chrysler never really had any kind working relationship. The budget line of FORCE motors (From Old Recycled Chrysler Engines)
built by, and now orphaned and unsupported by Merc are a prime example. There are quite a number of SeaKing motors still out there, with alot of enthusiasts. Your best bet for support/information may be to do a web search for such a group and get connected with them. My interest in these type of old outboards stops with compiling model/serial lists to assist in identification..."

"I have a Sea King 50 hp outbo

"I have a Sea King 50 hp outboard with serial #10537
and model # VWB 19092. I would like to know the
yr. and make of this motor and where I might be able
to find parts, manuels and any other history. Thank you."

"Mark, that is a 1964, twin cy

"Mark, that is a 1964, twin cylinder, 50 horse built by Chrysler for Montgomery Wards and sold under their brand name.

Despite it being dressed as a "Sea King", it is very much a Chrysler. Any Chrysler manual covering that model year will work for that motor.

As to parts - Chrysler is long gone, parts are getting scarce. Depending what you need, Andrew who runs this site carries aftermarket parts for some applications. Otherwise, you need to do websearches.

I do have a couple of sources for Chrysler parts, depending what you may be after...."

I have a 15hp Montgomerey Ward

I have a 15hp Montgomerey Ward Sea King with a broken prop. The model # is vwb521191. The seriel # is 48x32565. Would like to know the year of motor and where to find a used or new prop. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

"It looks like you have an ext

"It looks like you have an extra digit in the model number.

The VWB 52119 (either blank (79) or followed by an A thru E - A=80, B=81 etc) were 15 horse motors built by Chrylser between 1979 and up until 1984 (when Crysler was bought out by Bayliner).

So essentially you have a 15 horse Chrysler. They have no dealer support at all anymore so for a prop you will have to look to aftermarket companies (such as Michigan Wheel sold at most marine places like WestMarine etc) or watch Ebay for someone selling a good used one..."

Thanks for the info this gets

Thanks for the info this gets me heading in the
right direction. Great website. Thanks again.

i have a 15 horse mongomery wa

i have a 15 horse mongomery ward sea king mod # vwb52115 ser# 57x20980 trying to find out what year the motor is and if anybody knows where i may be able to get a repair manual i bought it and it was all tore apart. would like to know if i could maybe put an electric start on it also

"Brandon, what you have there

"Brandon, what you have there is a 1975 Chrysler, so a Seloc's manual covering that time frame/hp will work well for you.

Parts may be a little more difficult to come by for converting to electric start. Since Chrysler is long out of business you will have to first determine what you need and then watch recyclers/ebay and the like...."

thank you is there anyone that

thank you is there anyone that might be able to work on it any dealers maybe i live in illinois
not sure what do do

I have a Chrysler SeaKing 15 h

I have a Chrysler SeaKing 15 hp motor. Can anyone tell me the oil/fuel mixture rate for this motor?

"I just bought a 15 hp montgom

"I just bought a 15 hp montgomery ward.
MOD: VWB 52115, S/N: 57X20501
Can anyone tell me the year and what parts/repair manuals cover this?
Also wondering what the correct fuel/oil mixture is?"

Wade you have a 1975 Chrysler

Wade you have a 1975 Chrysler built for Wards. Any aftermarket maint manual for Chryslers of that vintage will work fine.

Both you and Steve can mix at 50:1 with regular unleaded gas and TCW-3 rated Marine 2 cycle oil.

You may want to replace the gas hoses under the hood if they are original - modern gas with alcohol/ethanol/methanol blends doesn't agree with the rubber in the older hoses - a couple bucks worth of gas line from any auto parts place can save you alot of headaches...

Thanks for the information. No

Thanks for the information. Now I'll see if I can make it to the water this weekend!

I need a blow apart of a 15hp

I need a blow apart of a 15hp Chrysler motor. I am trying to figure out how to remove the shaft to replace the water pump impeller. Or can someone tell me what I have to take loose to get the shaft out?

"Hi everyone,I'm trying to

"Hi everyone,I'm trying to find a cowl cover for my 1981 Montgomery ward 15hp chrysler sea king and also motor tiller control.Does anyone have any idea where i can get these parts? Thanks guys....."

"hello, I am needing assistanc

"hello, I am needing assistance, I have a late model Sea King made by Montgomery Wards that somewhere in the Late 60's. This is my first outboard motor and need help. What is the gas/oil mixture do I need to use in a 6gallon gas tank. My outboard is a 12.o hp the Model # is GG8971A serial # 75X692611 if someone could help me I would appreciate it tremendously"

I am looking for a recoil mech

I am looking for a recoil mechanism for a 15hp Chrysler. The one that was on the motor had been taken off befor I got it. Please contact me a my email.

I have a sea king 15 HP outboa

I have a sea king 15 HP outboard and 1 plug wire came unattached from the grommet that fits over the plug.. Where can I find a replacement plug wire for this?? The model number is VWB 52122. Any help would be great. Mark

"That engine took solid core w

"That engine took solid core wire (available by the foot from Napa) and you should be able to just trim about 1/2 inch off and screw it back on the post. If it pulled from the spark plug connector,you will need to get the wire wound connector out of the rubber boot with wd-40 and a needle nose plyers. Then straighten out the stabber so it is pointing at the wire and stab the wire and slide it all back into the boot."

I have a 79 sea king 15 VWB521

I have a 79 sea king 15 VWB52119. does somebody know of a surce for props? I have tried TC. franzmarine.com does not come up. nothing on ebay. I am looking for a spare so I can run the river.

Back