Logo

Pair of Marine Chrysler 440s overheating HELP

C

Craig Fluty

"I just bought a 30' Pacem

"I just bought a 30' Pacemaker that had two Chrysler 440's put in it. I replaced the carborators to get them running and now they are both overheating (one much worse then the other). I checked all the obvious problems (hoses are getting water, impeller is new, manifolds and heat exchanger is clean and clear of obstructions). At this point I am just guessing at things. There are no thermostats on the engines could that be the problem? Any other suggestions?"

"..."are no thermostats on

"..."are no thermostats on the engines could that be the problem?"

Believe it or not, yes. One of my boat buddies just solved his Mopar overheating "mystery" by putting a t-stat back in. Apparently, the water bypasses right to the exhaust manifolds instead of filling the block up properly (and that is BAD news).

Jeff

PS: Do you pwn a laser temp gun? Very useful tool for seeing what's happening. Under 30 bucks now (which ticks me off! I paid 90 bucks for mine a few years back.)"

The cooling water goes thru th

The cooling water goes thru the oil and transmission coolers and any blockage there will reduce flow. Make sure the timing advance is working also.

Dan

Back