Logo

125A coil

ajk

"when ign sw is on 7-9v at coi

"when ign sw is on 7-9v at coil+, engine will not start unless a jumper wire from Batt+ is connected to coil+.Is there supposed to be a wire from starter to coil?, or is there something else I should check out?"

"According to the instruction

"According to the instruction book for the AQ125A, there is no wire from the starter to the coil. Make sure you don't have a ballast resistor in the circuit and a coil with an internal resistor.

Your best bet would be eliminating the ballast resistor (if installed) and using a 3 ohm coil with internal resistor."

"Where would this ballast resi

"Where would this ballast resistor be installed at on the AQ125A.

Hey Andy, your not alone, I'm working with my girlfriends dad on their Vovlo Penta AQ125A and same issue, engine wont start and we are thinking coil too. But that's pretty cool El Pescador. Yah any idea where this ballast resistor is would be really helpful.

Thanks!"

"Gents, some applications use

"Gents, some applications use a ballast resistor, while others use resistor wire. If your application has a ballast resistor, it is usually located very close to the ignition coil (I assume you know how a ballast resistor looks like). On the other hand, if your application has a resistor wire, that wire is usually embedded in the harness.

If you have installed a 9 V coil (1.5 ohm) without an internal resistor and you have either a ballast or a resistor wire, then you are OK; but if yo keep the ballast or resistor wire and install a 12 V coil (that is, a 3 ohm coil with internal resistor), then both the coil internal resistor and the external resistor are in series, and the voltage arriving to the coil would become too low to give a decent spark.

To simplify my life, what I have done is eliminating the resistor wire and/or ballast from every boat I have owned with an i/o, then use normal wire and a 12V coil (3 ohm with internal resistor).

Clear as mud?
biggrin.gif
"

Back