Logo

1975 inline 6 165 hp starting problems

mercruiser 165. this engine wh

mercruiser 165. this engine when I turn it over it tries to start but just wont run. Fuel pum has good pressure and new fuel. when it almost starts I hit the trotle and revs up but stops after 2-3 seconds. fuel filter is also new. what to do?

"do you have power to the coil

"do you have power to the coil with the key in the "ON" position.
Ign.switch bad /ballast resistor open/harness plug loose,corroded."

yes there is power in the on p

yes there is power in the on position. not loose or corrode. Dont know what a ballast resistor is and one more thing when it does pop over the water pours out wetween the intake and head. I havent tore it apart yet. Could it be a head gasket? or intake gasket. I am NOT getting water in the oil or the cylynders.

"Sounds like you have more tha

"Sounds like you have more than just starting problems. You've got major surjery problems. Have you completely drained the oil to make sure you don't have water in the oil, because water lays at the bottom of the pan?"

"How long since this engine ha

"How long since this engine has run, does it freeze in your location ? How about a bit more history on the engine, the water pouring out is not very promising.
If you are sure your getting fuel into it then you need to start checking your ignition system, start with the basics, check plugs,points (if fitted) do not look for complex problems until after you have eliminated all the basic posibilities first.
Do what Bt Doctur and Graham say check your voltage readings at your coil and balast resistor (if the balast is not inbuilt it will look like a ceramic block, 2-3 inches long mounted adjacent to the coil, drain off your oil and see if there is any water lurking under the liquid gold.
Check some stuff and let us know what you find.
Regards
Peter C"

"I would start from the begini

"I would start from the begining.
Do a Compression Test, this should help identify a Head Gasket issue.
Then I would Remove the #1 Spark Plug (or put all of ther others back in) put some tissue paper in the Hole and roll the Engine over until this pop out. Now there is compression at the #1 Cylinder and you could check to insure that the Rotor is pointing at the #1 wire at theDistributer Cap.
Next put the cap back on and check for spark at the Spark Plugs. Be careful not to touch the wire, I use a Screw Driver, put it in the wire and get it a short distance from the Plug or Block.
If all of that looks OK then it should be a Fuel issue. But! the water squirting out is NO GOOD.
Steve"

"I believe there are 1 or 2 sm

"I believe there are 1 or 2 small core plugs in the head itself, may have popped one. cracked block just under the manifold,cracked manifold in the water jacket area but not in the intake/exaust passages.
for the starting issue, tempy hot wire from the battery to the coil to test.
runs: open ign.circuit somewhere"

well It looks bad here guys. I

well It looks bad here guys. I took off the intake and hiding underneath is a cracked block about 1 foot long. can this be welded to work again? no water in oil but there is fuel in the oil. can I get a old truck inline g and use that? they are basicly the same right?

"Shaun
You can use an old tru

"Shaun
You can use an old truck engine, but there can be issues to overcome, you could consider a reconditioned short block if your head is OK.
I am sure with a bit of investigation you would be able to source one or find a good used bottom end that you could have reconditioned.
The fuel in the oil could be from a failed fuel pump diaphram.
Regards
Peter C"

"I went through this same exac

"I went through this same exact situation. We got an old boat from a guy who just gave it to us for nothing. We knew nothing about boating and left water in it over the winter and guess what, the block cracked. So we bought an old 165 L6 on ebay. If you watch I'm sure there will be a couple for sale. It's a pretty common engine. Ours came out of a truck which means it didn't have any marine accessories on it. Also the engine was pretty much shot. The first piston was completely obliterated from water leaking into it. So, anyway, we took the truck block, bored out cylinders 2-6 and sleaved #1 and everything else we took from the original motor and a couple grand later made a bran spankin new motor. Apparently the timing on the motor is what eventually lead to water getting into the first cylinder, I think some other guys have had the same trouble with the 165's."

Back