Logo

RUNNING ENGINE OUT OF GAS

bassman3112

IS IT ADVISABLE TO RUN YOUR EN

IS IT ADVISABLE TO RUN YOUR ENGINE OUT OF GAS AT THE END OF A FISHING TRIP TO CUT DOWN ON FUEL SITTING IN INJECTORS ON A FUEL AND OIL INJECTED OUTBOARD MOTOR?

"If the engine has but one car

"If the engine has but one carburetor, it's unlikely that running the engine out of gas would do any harm. When the carburetor runs out of the fuel/oil mixture, the engine stops running.

However, a engine that has more than one carbuetor should simply be shut off. The reasoning is that the top carburetor will run out of fuel first due to gravity and the engine will continue to run on because of the still existing fuel in the other lower carburetors.

This results in having at least one aluminum piston running up and down a steel cylinder wall with improper or no lubrication. Not a good idea!"

Everyone is missing one thing

Everyone is missing one thing here he has a fuel injected engine not carbs.

Adog..... Many boaters refer t

Adog..... Many boaters refer to a VRO equipped engine as fuel injected.

Jim Beach.... What is the model number of that engine so that we know what we're speaking of.

"IT IS A 2006 EVINRUDE E-TEC 9

"IT IS A 2006 EVINRUDE E-TEC 90 H.P. I AM ASKING THIS FOR A FRIEND, SO I DON'T HAVE THE MODEL NO. RIGHT NOW, BUT I HEARD FROM A MECHANIC TODAY THAT IT IS NOT RECOMMENDED TO DRAIN THE GAS OUT."

"I think the E-TECH motors hav

"I think the E-TECH motors have a " winterizing " feature that you can activate.The motor will then do what is deemed needed by the factory if you intend to have it sit for a while.Look mother, no hands required!"

"The E-Tech 'winterizing&#

"The E-Tech 'winterizing' only handles the extra oil needed for the mechanical protection (pistons/cranck/cyls) like the old type 'fogging'. Just note it is 2-stroke oil and not preservation oil that is used! It does not handle the fuel system needs. The best, if storing for a long time like 6months+' is to run the engine on the old Ficht-mix where You add 2+4 and storage oil in a separate fuel cannister and run. Don't forget to replace the fuel filter before You restart again."

Back