Logo

Evinrude Model 33753S Project

D

Dave Bonney

" I just purchased this engine

" I just purchased this engine. The previous owner had not used it for 21 years. It is barn fresh. It is siezed up. After removing spark plugs and viewing pistons through plug holes while trying to turn flywheel,which will spin a 1/2 inch,I do notice a slight bit of piston movement, estimate 1/16 inch. I have put 2 capfulls of Marvelous Mistory Oil into each spark plug hole, it has sat one week. I have been told to remove cylinder head and direct oil at cylinder walls and hope. Then tap piston closest to top of cylinder first, using wooden implement and light touch. While being careful to tap equally on each cylinder to promote slight equal movement. Any other suggestions on how to proceed. What other problems/ concerns may I encounter from this engine that has not seen action since 1982. It appears very clean and not abused. Thanks "

"Dave.... You've received

"Dave.... You've received good advice pertaining to freeingup the engine. In all probability, the rings are simply siezed to the cylinder walls. The fact that you can turn the flywheel 1/2" indicates that the crankshaft and rod bearings etc are not seized.

The engine is a 1967 33hp Evinrude. The ratio is 50/1 (1pt of 50/1 oil to 6 gal gas).

You will absolutely need to remove, clean thoroughly, and rebuild the carburetor. Check the gear lube and refill it from the bottom drain plug until it flows out of the top oil level plug hole.

DO NOT REMOVE a philips screw if it exists in the lower portion of the lower unit. That philips screw would be a long shoulder type screw that is a pivot point for the shift linkage.

Use either Champion J4C or J6C plugs with the gap set to .030 . The J6C is slightly hotter and may provide a better idle. Points set to .020 . After freeing the engine and replacing the head gasket, check the spark and compression as follows.

Check the compression which should be in the range of 100+ psi (somewhat less on the smaller hp engines) and even on all cylinders.

With the spark plugs removed, rig up some type of spark tester whereas you can set a gap of 1/4" to be jumped. The spark should jump the gap with a strong blue lightning like flame.

Joe
"

" Thanks Joe,
I hoped you wou

" Thanks Joe,
I hoped you would respond. My dad, Vern "Buster" Bonney gave me the advise. He had a Johnson dealership in the 1960's, Outdoors Inc. in Oxford, Maine. He then sold out to Call of the Wild in Oxford and became their mechanic, retiring in the late 1980's. Did you ever meet him at Johnson school? I remember him going a few times.He is my hero. He is age 75 now with respiratory impairment. Now I've have this engine, along with a 16' leaking wooden boat which I have yet to determine the manufacturer and a trailer my father thinks sounds like a Holsclaw. He carried those also. He tells me stuff about each when I ask him. He gets frusrated because he can't do it for me like he used to. I was his chief flashlight holder when he tinkered at home. I think I'm in over my head on this one. Time will tell. I am not very mechanical because father did it all for me. I'm the youngest child. I'm hoping my brothers will help me. They are quite mechanical. I'm betting they won't be able to resist because deep down they want a bigger boat again at camp. Do you think Evinrude dealers will still be able to get parts for this engine. Father says I may need some specific tools, such as the one needed to put a disc back onto the transom tightening bolt. Would such things also be avaliable from dealers? Will dealers not in business in 1967 be reading out of the service manual to make these repairs as I would be or do you think they would have had exposure to these older engines? Thanks again Joe. "

Back