Logo

Corvair conversion to marine by Inboard Marine Corp

Z

Zeus Electronics

A friend of mine has a corvai

A friend of mine has a corvair engine that has been converted to verticle position inboard marine engine.
We believe it was made by a company called Inboard Marine Corp out of California. Is anyone familiar with this engine or the manufacturer? We'd appreciate any help we can get.

" That is a interesting questi

" That is a interesting question. Several years ago I came across a photo of a "Volksliner" or some thing Volks.... a small wood runabout from the early 60's (late 50's ??) that used an aircooled VW (beetle) engine - in board. The caption said it was made by Inboard Marine Corp. Very curious as it seems Inboard Marine Corp must have used air cooled engines in some of their models. Wish I knew more - would like to see one.

The photo was in an issue of Hot VW's and Dunebuggies Magazine, the volksliner was seen at a VW car show somewhere in Texas I think.

Maybe that helps. "

"Zeus and Jon,
There is a ver

"Zeus and Jon,
There is a vertical inboard that the owner is looking for information on posted in the classifieds, but I don't think is the same thing you are describing.

Regards,
Andrew Menkart
"

Re: A friend of mine has a corvai

Wayne F. Horning the designer of the Wayne 12 Port head for Chevy & GMC inline engines that are a hot rodding legend patented and built about 96 dba as Inboard Marine. They were written up in c 1965 Hot Rod magazine and reviewed in a boating magazine as well. The engines were first put in 16 foot Glasspar Avalons, and later in Tahiti hulls, They were known as the Wayne 100. The engine was installed vertically, flywheel end up and drove a lower unit that went through the bottom of the hull. I own one and have accumulated considerable information to aid in my own Wayne 100 restoration. If still interested I would be happy to share the info I have.

Back