Logo

Sears 35 HP boat motor

cadroncreek

"I recently acquired a Sears 3

"I recently acquired a Sears 3.5 hp motor, i took it out to my pond and it cranked right up. I would run it for a few minutes and it would always die, i got to where i would crank it up and press the gas bulb every so often and this kept it running. When i pulled it up to the bank i removed the motor and realized it was running very hot! Can anyone help me with this? Also what is the oil to gas ratio for these types of motors? Do these types have water pumps to cool the engine? Any info would be very helpful!"

You are asking a number of que

You are asking a number of questions here. A model number or serial number would be a great place to start. Sears motors have been around for years and produced by a couple different manufactures for them. So we need to isolate exactly what you have first before your other questions can be addressed.

I have a ted williams air cool

I have a ted williams air cooled 3 horse motor model # 217-5821-0 seriel # 5A-150316

I would like to know year and gas to oil ratio any help would be appreciated

"Dennis, you have 1970 5 horse

"Dennis, you have 1970 5 horse (according the numbers you provided).

This ouboard was made by Eska for Sears and the motor itself was made by Tecumseh.

The recommended oil mix for air-cooled engines is 16:1 (or 1/2 pint oil per gallon).

Tecumseh recommends that you use regular two cycle motor oil (such as used for chain-saws/lawnmowers) as opposed to marine oil for these engines..."

Back