Logo

From solex to Weber 2 barrel wondering if any problems

"What do you expect to achieve

"What do you expect to achieve with the conversion? Also, did you solve your "not enough spark" problem?"

"the plunger(if that's

"the plunger(if that's the name for it) on my solex is not working and I want to get a new carb, already rebuild that solex and still no idle from it engine is not sucking air. My spark problem was that I didn't have enough ground on my ignition, the advance adjusting screw made the difference on the grounding which seems weird. I get the whole kit for 300 dollars plus I can adapt a flame arrestor to it also wondering where can I buy the flame arrestor for a progressive 2 barrel weber carb."

"I have a conversion kit as we

"I have a conversion kit as well. Engine should be running fairly soon, so I'll let you know how it goes. I hated my solexs, synching dual carbs is no fun. Anyone else running a Weber?"

"I hear a lot of bad stuff her

"I hear a lot of bad stuff here about the Solex side draft carbs. Can an engine be made to run reliabily with them? I just rebuilt two, got the engine running and now have one back apart with the brand new float valve hanging up. No visible dirt. Will reassemble and try again.

Jon"

"I ran an AQ140 (twin Sole

"I ran an AQ140 (twin Solex sidedraft) for years with no problems. Just make sure you synchronize them properly (use a unisync tool for that).

Regarding the float, use the instructions in Seloc to adjust the float height."

"there's this kit for volv

"there's this kit for volvo penta B21 which runs for about 715 dollars (weber 38 DGES for Volvo Penta), comes with a new intake manifold. go to redlineweber.com"

"Javier, I have visited the re

"Javier, I have visited the redlineweber website and it sounds interesting. I have never tried those kits, but I find some of their claims a bit difficult to swallow. Their claim of better idling sounds reasonable to me, but increasing torque and horsepower by 21% and in the meantime lowering fuel consumption sounds a bit too good to be true. To substantiate their claims, I would have liked to see them providing some dyno test figures as well as the specific fuel consumption figures for the Weber and the Solex arrangements, all tests conducted by independent third parties. But in any case, if their claims are true, you should get some extra 25 HP out of your current engine, which means you should be able to run with a prop 2 to 4 inches higher in pitch; and, while the boat gains a few knots in maximum speed, you should also see a decrease in your fuel bills.

If you go for that conversion, and after testing your boat, perhaps you would like to share your experience in the forum so that other boaters who may be interested know what to expect. Good luck."

"finished my project, soon pic

"finished my project, soon pictures, 400 dollar investment,sounds like a V6, idle is perfect. Hopefully boat will be tested this weekend."

"Javier, thanks for the update

"Javier, thanks for the update. Did you install a Weber? If so, your words sounds promising. Now, let's see how the seatrials go. I'm sure many forum members who own 4-cylinder VPs will be quite interested in the results."

"my biggest problem right now

"my biggest problem right now is that the weber is not compatible with my side mount control, my boat is a 1983 bayliner capri with is original sidemount control and the solex accelerates downwards now it's completely different so was wondering if a teleflex sidemount would work can it be inverted?, I know yamaha 703 it's possible."

Fabricate a SeeSaw lever so th

Fabricate a SeeSaw lever so that you don't need to buy new equipment... Use some good steel flatstrap and drill a couple of mounting holes to mount it on the intake. Then make the bends to figure out where the "seesaw" needs to be. After you get that finished make some hardwire linkages (they don't have to be perfectly straight >> They can compensate for the lever not being exactly where you wanted it to be).....

It looks better in my head than I can describe in words on here.... Sorry about that....

I have built a few race cars and have had to fabricate a lot of stuff to "just make it work".

OG

"Finished the project test it,

"Finished the project test it, love it, EL Pescador I send some pictures to your register email accoubt let me know what you think. Boat is fast 35mph fast and still not at WOT."

"Hey Javier, that conversion y

"Hey Javier, that conversion you made looks simply <font size=""+1""><u>awsome</u></font>
thumbs_up.gif
thumbs_up.gif
. You may want to consider testing thoroughly your boat and posting here the "before" and "after" results. I am sure there is a number of forum members following this matter very closely and will likely follow your lead if the Weber carb performs better than the ol' Solex.

Who knows? Maybe, like the Pertronix ignition kits, Weber carbs is going to be one of the sirver bullets that will keep the 4 cylinder OHC Volvo Pentas running far better than initially designed.
biggrin.gif
"

I'm REALLY interested in t

I'm REALLY interested in this conversion that Javier did (from dual sidedrafts to the single weber).

Javier--are you still out there? Any updates or photos? You've got some in the audience here who are ready for a CONVERSION! ;)

"is all about the 4th of July

"is all about the 4th of July so after that I would let you know all the details will try different props too, pictures sent to your register email Dennis"

"There's no way that anybo

"There's no way that anybody who tries the weber carb conversion would be dissapointed doing 30mph at 4000rpm and can take the engine all the way up to 5500 won't do it but is possible still need to try that different prop... but the sound the idle, everything sounds great."

"Javier,
That's great new

"Javier,
That's great news about the ongoing success of your carb conversion. Trust me, I'm not the only one who's happy to hear about this successful upgrade.
From what I've seen and heard from your experience, it sounds like one of the best investments a person could make for one of these older VP 4-cyl. motors.
I forgot to ask, is your engine an AQ125a? I have a AQ140a. I would either have to find a used single carb DD manifold and have an adapter plate like your's made, or buy the entire kits for around $700 with a new manifold.
I really appreciate you sharing your carb upgrade experiences with the rest of us!"

"I have an AQ125B same thing a

"I have an AQ125B same thing as A but 2.3 b23F engine block, I have an extra intake manifold don't know if you're interested or if anybody here is, I would recommend that $700 investment if you don't know of anybody that could make you that adapter plate or if you don't really have the time but you can actually save more than $300 dollars doing a custom work. I'm only 24years old and didn't know anything about engines when I started this project, Out of three engines I now have what you've seen in the pictures, first thing I did bought the clymer and the seloc read all forums related to my engine download the owner's manual and made all the mistakes you can think of, I'm still learning day by day overhere in a place where outboards rule Puerto Rico. If I can adapt that weber anyone can..."

"Thanks Javier. I'm leanin

"Thanks Javier. I'm leaning heavily toward the full kit with manifold included. I just have to find a way to slip this "little" budget item by my wife's watchful eyes!
happy.gif

I'm jealous of your Puerto Rico weather!

You are doing great with your boat for being only 24 yrs. old. That's the way to get a lot of things done in life, just like you're doing it.

If we ask questions, get some good help from people who want to share what they know (like several here), and take it step-by-step we can accomplish almost anything! Besides, it's more fun doing it yourself."

Back