Logo

165 sterndrive seal leaking

I bought a used outdrive of eb

I bought a used outdrive of ebay. I did a pressure test before installing it and I relized there is a leak where the spline shaft comes out of the outdrive. Is this something I can repair myself? Or do I need to bring it in??

"Dave: How much pressure did

"Dave: How much pressure did you use? Only need a hand bicycle pump. Anything more will cause a leak.

If it's leaking at the prop spline, there are two shaft seals back-to-back that you can replace. They require loctite to install them.
Guy"

I only used 5 psi. The leak is

I only used 5 psi. The leak is on the top of the lower unit. where the splined shaft comes out of the outdrive. When I opened up the box from ups I noticed the oil that leaked out of it. Is this something I am capable of fixing???

"Dave:
I don't know you

"Dave:
I don't know your abilities but suggest that you read up on the replacement procedure before deciding either way. I have never done it.

Looking at a parts blowup it appears that the u-joint and shaft assy. have to be removed first and then the retainer, spacer, o-ring and then the oil seal.

Perhaps one of the other members can guide you through the process or advise to have it done.

I would at least look at the water impeller and probably replace it since it is apart. If the impeller housing appears to have been overheated (melted), replace both the upper and lower impeller housings; the lower has an oil seal for the bottom of the vertical shaft.

Guy"

"You need a special wrench to

"You need a special wrench to loosen and re-torque the retaining nut PN 816811-1 that screws into the housing and holds it all together. Other than that it is all doable without difficulty. Make sure you put the same shims back in exactly where they came from, as these set the gear mesh.
Rod"

I would recommend that you hav

I would recommend that you have the entire drive resealed professionally. This is a good time to ensure that you used drive is in good shape before you put it on the boat and risk getting standed or worse sunk.

"I made a wrench to get the re

"I made a wrench to get the retaining nut off. When your taking it apart do you just take out the shaft, yoke, untill you get to the 2 oil seals, or do you have to pull out everything- bearings,spacers,everything up to the gear and nut on the end. Thanks for all the help I would be lost without this website. Dave"

The whole assembly comes out i

The whole assembly comes out in one piece including the drive gear and retaining nut. Then you can dissassemble it on the bench to change the seals. Note that there is a specified torgue value for the gear nut (in order to preload the bearings) and also for the retainer nut when you re-install it all back in the drive.
You really should get yorself a Seloc or Clymer manual to get all the info you need to do this job right.
Rod

Back