Logo

70 hp Evindrude Compression Test

chashomer

"<font color=""0000ff""><font

"<font color=""0000ff""><font face=""arial,helvetica""><font size=""+1"">\bI have a 1986 70 hp Evinrude. The mechanic tells me my cyclinder reading are 160 160 & 120. The motor has not seen any use for the past year because the power was so poor. The mechanics says it needs to have the carbs cleaned out. </font><font color=""ff0000"">My question is about the compression reading. Do they indicate there is trouble inside the motor? I am trying to decide whether to fix and repair the motor or not. Thanks</font></font></font>}"

1: Please drop the fancy color

1: Please drop the fancy colors and use 'default' writing.

2: Your engine probably need a rebuild!

Does anyone know what the comp

Does anyone know what the compression readings should be for a 70 hp Evindrude ? How much variation is acceptable? Thanks

The fact that one cylinder is

The fact that one cylinder is way lower than the others means tear it down for repairs. Simply put it is not going to heal itself.Pull the cylinder head and if you are lucky a bad head gasket may be the problem.

"That engine usually has compr

"That engine usually has compression in the 150+ psi range, and the readings should be very close to even.

The fact that your engine has a 40 psi reading difference between one cylinder and the other two indicates trouble..... and is not acceptable.

As "Student" states above, remove the cylinder head and inspect the head, pistons, and cylinder walls. Carburetor work, although it is obviously needed and is most likely the cause of the trouble, will not solve your present problem."

Back