Logo

Sears eska 99 outboard motor overheating

toadfuss

I have a sears eska 9.9 outboa

I have a sears eska 9.9 outboard motor and it over heated and stopped when I tried it out a couple of times the other day. I just replaced the water pump. What could be the cause of this?

"I have an old Sears 4HP outbo

"I have an old Sears 4HP outboard. It's in good shape except for gas being left in tank and carb. Seems to be a bit gummed up. My question is, what should I use to clean it and what techniques should be used to clean it?"

richard konik
did u line up

richard konik
did u line up everything right?
what year?

john t mccallum start a new thread

"I'm not sure what you mea

"I'm not sure what you mean by "line everything up alright". Someone else actually replaced the pump. I'm thinking that the oil mixture was a little too lean.It worked fine in the yard. I did notice that the gas tank didn't have an air intake valve on the lid. I'm not sure what else could do it. I'm going to try again in a bucket tomorrow and maybe take it out to a lake later this week. I understand that are a few variables that would cause this. I'll do some research and get a serial and year for it. It is mid to later 70's I believe.I'll post the info later this evening if I can get a chance or tomorrow for sure. Thanks,JUST-IN-TIME - much appreciated.I'm a novice outboard hguy but I did just fix( alittle tinkering - and modification) '47 Firestone Scott-Atwater that's working good.

81236.jpg
81237.jpg
"

I just ran the motor for about

I just ran the motor for about 45 minutes in the backyard. I didn't run it really fast and it didn't heat up much. I added a bit more oil to the mix perhaps that was the problem. (?) I was smokier than last time.

I did notice that there was a hair line crack on the front of the engine and gas was slightly leaking along it. Otherwise it did seem to be going alright with a few slight misses.

Water did spray out the "telltale" and I believe after a while it should just go through internally at a higher speed.Is that true?

The problem is that I don't really know how the motor is suppose to sound if it is healthy. I will try to take it out on the lake soon to give it a better go and not try to see how fast it can go like I did before.

Any tips from the more knowledgeable?

Back