Logo

Are Gray Marine V8188 engines worth restoring

"Hi Lori, Ive seen your posts

"Hi Lori, Ive seen your posts on the chris craft BBuzz pages. Is this to replace your 283/327? Stick with the 283, you will find parts and people to work on them much more readily. Good luck."

"Hi,
Actually its not a repla

"Hi,
Actually its not a replacement just interested to see if the engine was worth something. I am enjoying the process of restoring the 283...something for the future...
Thanks,
Lori"

"Lori, I am rebuilding a v8-18

"Lori, I am rebuilding a v8-188 right now. Dont junk it. It is a very rebuildable engine. It is more rare than others but makes great conversation."

"If that's an AMC engine,

"If that's an AMC engine, hell yes! Gonna be valuable one day (if not already).

Jeff"

"How do I figure out if they &

"How do I figure out if they (there are actually two of them) are AMC engines? The engine numbers are 7M5354 and 7M5343. Supposed to be vintage 1955 but dont know anything about these engines.
thanks,
Lori"

"Here's what an AMC looks

"Here's what an AMC looks like:

Jeff

81083.jpg
AMC mill

"Gee Jeff, that engine looks j

"Gee Jeff, that engine looks just like mine
proud.gif
before it was rebuilt.
Lori, yes it is mine, but it is a 225C. Same block, same displacement, same compression ratio, same everything except for the carbs. Do not confuse it with the GM 327 (Chevy. Pat and I had a discussion about this last spring and the only difference we could find was the numbers on the carbs.In my opinion I would save the engine since is is quite versatle. If you want to see a completed pic of this engine and the rebuild of it follow this link.
http://www.marineengine.com/discus/messages/12512/13970.shtml
The decision is yours but if you have a spare corner and storage space I would say keep it.
Cal"

"Thanks for the info. I am go

"Thanks for the info. I am going to try and take some pictures and post them. By the way, how much would I expect these engines to weigh and are there any parts/tech manuals to cover the V8-188? I have seen your other manuals but none of them seem to be for this engine.
thanks,
Lori"

Thanks Andrew but I thought I

Thanks Andrew but I thought I read in another post from you that the V8C-225 is the 327 cid engine? I am sorry about my ignorance but I am very new to all this (but very happy to learn).
Lori

"Lori,

No problem.

The

"Lori,

No problem.

The V8-225 is based on the 327 cid engine also.

There are "about" 10 different Gray Marine Fireball models based on the 327 cid engine.

The V8-188 is one of them."

"Thanks again...I think I am c

"Thanks again...I think I am catching on here. Fastjeff said the engine would be valuable if they were AMCs. Given that these engines came from a circa 1955 42 ft chris craft I am imagining they are not AMC engines but made by Gray marine proper. I am also guessing they saw some salt water use. If they have seen some salt water use and are not AMC engines are they still worth restoring? What should I look for when I get to see them...maybe this weekend.
thanks,
Lori"

"Those would not be stock in a

"Those would not be stock in a Chris Craft, they were replacement engines. I have the Chris Craft "guide' from Jerry Conrad at the Chris Craft Collection in the Mariners Museum, and there was no Gray Marine power option on a 1955 Chris."

Did any year of chris craft us

Did any year of chris craft use the V8-188 Gray marine? Since this engine didnt really come out until late 1956 or early 57 I am thinking the boat may actually be a little younger.

"Hi Guys- the 327 Grays were b

"Hi Guys- the 327 Grays were based on the old Hudson motors from late 49- 58, they were later used in SOME AMC vehicles when AMC aquired the rights to Hudson. The motors run great, used different cams and intake setups to curve HP ratings. I have a couple of them in different Century Boats and they run very well, parts are available- I would not use the lay down carb set up if I was going to use the motor a good deal, instead change it to the 57 4V intake or 2V intake. They didn't call em "Fireballs" for nuttin...."

"Lori, I see your posts on the

"Lori, I see your posts on the Danenberg site, looks like you have quite a project going there, good luck with it.
John, if I put the downdraft intake man and carb on my 225, does that increase the hp? (4bbl) or with the price of gas heading up like a rocket would a 2bbl fit the same intake manifold?
Cal"

I would put the 4V on and cont

I would put the 4V on and control my impulses LOL...I won't run a 2V on a 4V intake w/ an adapter- the 2V intakes are out there alot more than the 4V intakes...HP is based on a lot more than fuel/air flow...

"I'm an impulsive guy so I

"I'm an impulsive guy so I guess the 4bbl is out.
biggrin.gif
I still have to flip my Sabre and put the engine back in so now I'm putting the cart before the horsepower. In a few weeks I hope to get it in and fired up. I will post pics on the string that I linked to before.
cal"

"Chris Craft did use the Fireb

"Chris Craft did use the Fireball AMC Graymarine in the CC 25-26 ft cavilear cruiser model in 1963 because GM eng plant was on strike and there was a shortage of GM engines Chris was using any marine eng they could get their hands on that year, to be able to keep on producing that model boat. I used to be a marine mechanic and have read up ona lot of this stuff. I also have been around the AMC gray marine engines for a long time.
Thanks
Fred"

"I am looking for all-in weigh

"I am looking for all-in weight and exterior dimensions for a 150 HP Graymarine straight six engine, ca. 1970, available in Canada, for an historic boat reconstruction project. The original had transmission and 2:1 reduction gear."

Back