Logo

Lots of numbers and no information

mnobfan

Regular Contributor
"Trying to ID a motor. Common

"Trying to ID a motor. Common # is 462 which can be found on the carb base, the engine block and the top of the lower unit where it mounts to the head. Only brand name I can find is on the flywheel and stator plate which is WICO. If it can be believed one Patent # would be from 1938 if that helps any.

80744.jpg
Patent date?"">
80745.jpg
Overall view"">
80746.jpg
ID or just another #

Possible new info or just more

Possible new info or just more confusion. Tillotson Carb AJ-2A was OEM for Champion Motors Co. 1941. Better or worse?

"I'm pretty certain that y

"I'm pretty certain that you have a "Wizard" which was produced for Western Auto a whole lot of years back. I will include a photo of a 3.5 horse (which I have compared to your pic), and will keep digging a bit to see what else I can come up with. But this should give you somewhere to start with.
80929.jpg
3.5 wizard

Motor is now believed to be a

Motor is now believed to be a pre-WWII Champion made by Scott-Atwater. This info comes from AOMCI Ask-A-Member discussion board. Still no idea as to HP or actual year. Most pics I've seen are too beefy in the drive shaft cover or the water intake openings are below the horizontal plate instead of above.

"You have me intrigued though.

"You have me intrigued though. Would be great if you could post a couple more pics - especially of the powerhead from maybe a front and side angle. Anyhow, good luck"

"Some more views with some key

"Some more views with some key points of interest.
80997.jpg
Carb"">
80998.jpg
Intake"">
80999.jpg
powerhead"">
81000.jpg
Powerhead2"">
81001.jpg
Powerhead3"">
81002.jpg
Powerhead4"">
81003.jpg
Powerhead5

"This is a tough one. I do th

"This is a tough one. I do think though that you defiantely have a Scott-Atwater product. The produced Champion, Firestone, a couple others and in the end "wizard" (which is what I thought it was based on the design in the first place). However, your "model/serial" number doesn't work. They used a 3 digit model number - the first two being the year, the 3rd digit equated to the model hp. That would make yours a model "2" built in 1946. Plausable except in 1946 they only produced models "1" (deluxe single) and "7" 5hp twin. I will keep having a look though. The fact that your motor has Canadian parts on it may mean that it was produced in Canada?????? by them with a different model number (really guessing here now). But will keep looking. I'm mostly retired now and get to spend the day split between working on outboards in my garage and surfing the net
"

"Always possible the # is not

"Always possible the # is not model/serial but a part #. Was just the first most noticable # I found. Also common pre-fix at other locations ie. the carb base,block,etc. Haven't found any # on the transom mount. Should probably look with my magnifier."

"Yes, very possible. And I hav

"Yes, very possible. And I have been unable to find much info at all about "what" the scott-atwater company produced prior to 1946. There just isn't too much info out there. I guess they sold out completely in the 50's to McCullough, although at one point they were the second largest producer of outboards next to Evinrude. Haven't asked, but is the motor running?? I have seen rebuild kits still available for the carb that's on it and points and condensers are still available as well for pretty much all of their motors. It is probably a 3.5 or 3.6 hp (just based on what they built). If it is a champion it would have been produced between 1935-42 or a firestone produced from 39 on for a few years."

"I will add one further thing

"I will add one further thing to my last post. I have come accross some pics of a 1941 champion. I think it's safe to say yours came "after" this one since it didn't have an enclosed exhaust housing. Also, the serial numbers prior to 1946 were a combination of letters/numbers. See the pics...
81035.jpg
41 champ"">
81036.jpg
c2"">
81037.jpg
c3

"Now most likely a 1946 Scott-

"Now most likely a 1946 Scott-Atwater produced Firestone. Still trying to find the 133-6 that preceeds the 462. Not sure if actually runs. Don't really feel up to donating fuel to find out at $3+ per gallon. Motor is loose, has spark, compression, and prop turns when engine is pulled over."

"Hey, you can always come up t

"Hey, you can always come up to Canada. I paid almost 5 bucks for a gallon of gas (regular) and I like to use mid-grade in my outboards. Anyhow, I have enjoyed looking around and reading about these old engines. I don't usually have much to do with anything produced earlier than the mid-60's, but this has given me a new interest. Good luck with your engine - hey spend a buck, that should at least get it to start if nothing else
Graham"

"Sure and then I will have to

"Sure and then I will have to get the other 9 motors running. At least with those the ID is 100% positive as all have tags. Oops, forgot about the sheriff sale special where all the id #'s were broken off or ground off. At least it was narrowed down to a QD-10 or 11 maybe a 12. Only have 2 motors made after 1960 and 1 after 1970. Of course 5 boats don't help any either. Current plan is to get rid of all but the most current purchases. Those are a 1970 Glastron V142 and a 1957 Johnson 35HP Javelin. Nice motor for only about $15. Thanks for the help and enjoy retirement."

Tried to see if the little bug

Tried to see if the little bug would run. Fuel tank leaks like a sieve. Gets fuel to the carb but seems like there is no compression. Lots of spin but no resistance when pulled over. Figure it is not worth the effort for me to look further into. Would probably make a good parts motor for someone else.

Back