Logo

Engine cranks but doesnbt want to fire

P

Penny Alexander

" I have a 1989 inboard omc 17

" I have a 1989 inboard omc 175. Most times it fires right up but I turned it off for the kids to jump off the cliffs and then it just cranked but wouldn't fire. I took a screw driver and put it in the carb it eventually started. Its like the automatic choke (if there is one) is stuck open. I know enough to be dangerous about engines and have looked for a sensor but haven't found it. Any suggestions? Oh, I changed the plugs, wires and points a 1.5 years ago and has run terrific. Help!! (this boat is babied and kept in the garage)
Penny "

"Penny, if the engine is alrea

"Penny, if the engine is already warm, it shouldn't need the choke to start. I take your description to mean you hold the choke butterfly closed with screwdriver and the engine will eventually start. I'll also assume that you have spark when the engine won't start.

Your situation sounds like fuel starvation (partially clogged filters, dirty carb, etc.) or possibly vapor lock, meaning the fuel in carb bowl is "boiling" off due to heat rising from the engine while it's stopped.

Try replacing all the fuel filters and cleaning the carb thoroughly. Also try opening the engine hatch to ventilate the engine while it's sitting hot.

"

" Hi Croozertoo, thanks for t

" Hi Croozertoo, thanks for the info, yes there is spark to the plugs. But it won't start sometimes cold either, I hold a screwdriver in the carb holding the flaps open and it cough and supters but it soon starts. Most always it just starts right up. Never had a problem with it before. Its just this occassional crank and no fire that bugs the heck out of me. I will change the fuel filter (which I change every season) but how do I clean the carb. Carb cleaner spray? "

" Penny,
Intermitant symtom

" Penny,
Intermitant symtoms sometimes indicate a bad coil or condenser. Coils are notorious for acting up as the engine gets hotter. I'd swap out the condenser first. Try that. If it happens still try a new coil. It's wise to change the distributor cap and rotor when doing periodic maintainance to the ignition.
Eddie "

"Okay, using the screwdriver t

"Okay, using the screwdriver to hold the choke open is a different deal than I described before. Now it sounds like it might be flooding and your opening the choke and throttle manually eventually clears the cylinders enough to start. When it does start, you may notice some black smoke for a few moments. Careful with that screwdriver, too....carbs are delicate.

The choke may be sticking, out of adjustment or not getting "pulled off" by the automatic mechanism. Sticking may be due to dirt or fuel varnish residue buildup, so start by using carb cleaner outside and inside the carb. Get it spanking clean, then check for normal choke operation. If you don't know what to look for, get someone familiar with chokes to take a look at it.

As Eddie said, make sure you have spark when the engine cranks but won't start. Remove a plug and see if it's wet with fuel or dry. Dry the plug if necessary, insert it into its boot and hold the threaded end against the engine block away from the plug hole with your fingers or rubber handled pliers on the insulated boot, crank the engine and see if the plug is sparking. If it is, ignition is not the problem. If not, you have a new set of steps to go through.

"

" 454XL Crusader stalls....
I

" 454XL Crusader stalls....
I have a 93 Silverton 34x with twin 454 XL Crusaders, v-drives. The starboard engine starts when cold, runs fine for a few minutes, then stalls. It won't restart after trying for a few hours, but the next day it starts, runs fine for 3 to 10 minutes, then stalls. I've installed new; a water separator/filter, distributor cap, rotor, and plugs. I've swapped from the port engine; the coil, coil wire, pick-up coil module (not the pick-up coil itself) and alternator. I've check the carburetor? gas line screens (clean) and the jets all squirt plenty of gas when throttling. The choke seems fine. My next step was to change the pick up coil under the rotor but I'm not sure how (does the distributor have to be pulled?), and was hoping someone may have had this problem with a simpler solution.
Any help will be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, RLJ from SBC "

Back