Logo

Problem turning engine manually

wydeffinopen

"I'm trying to adjust the

"I'm trying to adjust the rockers, and Clymer says I need to rotate the crank via the pully to adjust one by one. The problem is that I can't get the crank to turn, and I don't want to push it hard enough to strip the pulley screw. I've installed new bearings, a new cam, and everything has been torqued to spec. What might be the problem?"

"Providing You lubed the beari

"Providing You lubed the bearings during installation, installed the bearing-cups dry at the sides towards the block, the crank moved freely, the most probable reason is the new piston rings and honed cylinder walls?
At least I hope You have taken out the sparks before attempting to turn."

I do have new rings and the wa

I do have new rings and the walls were of course honed. Sparks are out as well. The engine is an AQ130 by the way. So how would I go about turning the crank to adjust the valves? Maybe turn it over just a bit with the starter to kinda loosen it up? The bearings were lubed prior to installation by the way.

"You should be able to turn th

"You should be able to turn the engine with a deep socket and a ratchet wrench. If not, something is seized somewhere or jamming the engine, and cranking the engine with the starter may make things worse."

Back