Logo

197912 Mariner 90hp 6cyl Overheated now misses amp fouls plugs

I

Ivan Rice

"Hi guy's, I've been r

"Hi guy's, I've been reading through the topics but can't find anything that might help me.
I have a 1979 1/2 90hp Mariner 6cyl. that was rebuilt about 4 yrs ago but never put in the water until last year. Last year it ran great, idled fine, and started easily cold or hot and never needed choking or starting fluid to crank. I decided to have the water pump replaced this spring as preventive maint. When we got the boat back into the water, it started fine but wasn't putting out any water. I ran it about 100yrds and it started to miss & knock (ign. ping, not rods) I immedietly shut it down & towed it back to the dock. When we tore the lower unit back down, the new impeller was shredded & I had to replace it, and the housing. I also replaced the plugs as the #'s 3,4,&5 were fouled. The new pump did fine & it's pumping plenty of water. My problem is now, it is very hard to get cranked when cold (takes a few squirts of starting fluid), and it just doesn't have the power it used to. It feels as if it's missing, but only at certain throttle positions, at WOT it doesn't feel as if there's a miss, but I can tell the power is off a little (feels a little sluggish). Idle is also poor. It starts fine when warm.
I can remove & clean the plugs and it will start & run great but only for about an hour, after that the idle gets rough again.And the miss returns.
Could I have damaged something inside the engine when it got hot? No engine adjustments have been changed from last year when it ran perfect."

Did anybody look at / check th

Did anybody look at / check the bleed inserts?

Back