Logo

Johnson 50 HP Fuel Ratio

troy_d

I have a 1995 Johnson 50hp mod

I have a 1995 Johnson 50hp model J5BELEOD that I am concerned may be running to lean. I pulled the plugs out after about an hour of use on new champion QL78YC plugs. The top plug had a yellowish color to it with no signs of blackness or oil on it. The bottom plug was pretty much clean with a little bit of black around the middle. Maybe I'm just used to older 2 strokes that always turned the plug black almost right away. How would I go about adjusting these carbs to run a little richer?

"Troy, You need to check the m

"Troy, You need to check the manual, but the high speed jets are usually fixed. If the motor runs too lean, you need to clean the carbs. Is the VRO working (do you see blue smoke?) is the motor overheating?"

"The oil injection has been di

"The oil injection has been disconnected on this motor so I mix it 50:1. I'm not sure that it is to lean, just figured the plugs would get dirty a little quicker on a 2 stroke than they are. It was running at close to WOT for most of the hour I had it out so maybe thats why they didn't "foul" at all. I will buy a manual hopefully this week if the marine store up the road has one in stock."

Back