Logo

Penn yan runs hot

captainmuskrat

" i have a 1971 penn yan that

" i have a 1971 penn yan that was repowered between 1980 and 1986. i recently had trouble with my 350 not starting, running rough, and hesitating during acceleration. it has been retrofitted with an ac delco voyager ignition. i replaced the module and the plugs, and the engine ran great the next time out on the water.

before i had the trouble of not starting, etc. it always sounded like a cylinder may have been missing during acceleration and wot. the engine would run at 120 degrees, no more. now that i have it running better, it is heating up to 150-160 during wot and cruising runs of 10-15 minutes. when it gets to 160, i back it down to idle and it cools off quickly. is this too hot? is it running hotter because it's running better? i'm an idiot with marine engines (cars too), so please help.
thanks, steve "

"Mon Capitan, 160 isn't to

"Mon Capitan, 160 isn't too hot - it's a good temp to run normally. It sounds like you fixed one or more missing cylinders with the new ignition system. Since non-running cylinders don't generate any heat to speak of, the rise in operating temp could be explained by all eight firing as they should. It's a little more rise than I would expect, but you're still okay.

"

" thanks, croozer.
one thing

" thanks, croozer.
one thing i didn't tell you about was that the engine ran without water for about 20 minutes and got to about 220. i left the seacock closed when i left the boat ramp. this happened several weeks before my question above. my exhaust hoses melted and the shaft seal on the raw water pump let go. an exhaust flapper popped off and the belt started screaming. since then, the shaft seal on the raw water pump has been leaking. i think this is what made the belt start slipping. this is why i am very concerned about any different operating conditions. i have run the boat without any problems, except those noted above, since this happened. i pulled the impeller and was surprised to see that no vanes were torn or damaged in the raw water pump. does this change any ideas that you may have? thanks again for your info. steve "

Back