Logo

1962 CHRIS CRAFT OVERHEATING

M

Mike H

" I have 1962 30' Chris Cr

" I have 1962 30' Chris Craft with twin 283 engines. The left bank of my port engine is overheating. I have replaced the impellers and checked for blockage but have not been able to locate any. According to my Chris Craft manual there is no thermostats in this engine, is this true. What else can the problem be or have I overlooked a possible water blockage point. It does seem like there is an obstruction. "

"Mike, it was very common fo

"Mike, it was very common for CC 283's of that vintage to not have thermostats. If these are flywheel forward engines, your water pump is probably a dual impeller Sherwood or Jabsco model and has hoses going into the exhaust manifold inlets on each side of the engine.

How have you determined that the left bank is overheating? If you have checked for good flow at each hose, and water is flowing unrestricted from the top outlet of the left head, then the blockage must be downstream.

It's also possible that you have enough crud accumulated in the block water jackets to restrict flow.

"

Re: "Mike, it was very common fo

I recently purchased a ‘64 CC SuperSport with a 283. While boating temp gauge stopped working. Engine began to overheat and knock and we moored up. Next day engine started fine but gauge doesn’t work and there is no left side exhaust. Any ideas on what problem could be?

RE: "no left side exhaust".... I assume you mean no water from the left side exhaust port, right ???? Is the engine an 283FLV?
Likely a disintegrated raw water pump impeller whose parts ended up in ugly places.

RE: "no left side exhaust".... I assume you mean no water from the left side exhaust port, right ???? Is the engine an 283FLV?
Likely a disintegrated raw water pump impeller whose parts ended up in ugly places.

Correct, no water from the pipe. I appreciate the information. I am going to remove the pump this weekend and replace impeller. Thanks for the reply.

Correct, no water from the pipe. I appreciate the information. I am going to remove the pump this weekend and replace impeller. Thanks for the reply.
I think I have an original 1969 283FLV "manual" with diagrams and theory of operation for its quirky cooling system. Will scan and post/send if interested.

"Mike, it was very common for CC 283's of that vintage to not have thermostats. If these are flywheel forward engines, your water pump is probably a dual impeller Sherwood or Jabsco model and has hoses going into the exhaust manifold inlets on each side of the engine.

How have you determined that the left bank is overheating? If you have checked for good flow at each hose, and water is flowing unrestricted from the top outlet of the left head, then the blockage must be downstream.

It's also possible that you have enough crud accumulated in the block water jackets to restrict flow.

"

"
I there any way to remove the crud in the block?

Back