Logo

Starting Issues

claurie

"I have a 89' 100hp Merc,

"I have a 89' 100hp Merc, Just had trim tilt motor replaced also airbox gasket due to a leak.( Done by Service Co.) I then replaced the spark plugs. Ever since it is really hard to start in the water to the point of flooding. Never had this issue prior. Starts fine using flush cups. It does eventually start and with a bit of smoke and a few revs it runs fine. But then I have to use the choke to restart when warm. Could this be a faulty plug? Also with the gasket replaced would this effect previous tuning from when the gasket was leaking?"

"Make sure when you trim it do

"Make sure when you trim it down in the water, that its trimmed all the way down so that the fuel can run back into the carb. I have a little MERC 25 that will not start when the motor set on the 2nd setting from the bottom, but will fire right up on the last setting when it's trimmed all the way down. Once its warmed up, you can trim up to keep from plowing."

"Thanks Jeff notice a similar

"Thanks Jeff notice a similar issue with older merc's. But I think I found the problem, there is a cermaic block with wires that lead to the coil I think. These had worked loose. So would explain easy to start under flush cups with not much power required. But when under back pressure the wire had to heat up to build resistance before it would fire. Tightend the terminals seems to be fine now. Going to test in the weekend and hopefully bring home a few fish to celebrate. Cheers Carl"

Back