Logo

Shift Cable Adjustment

S

Steve W.

"Hi all and thanks for the hel

"Hi all and thanks for the help you have given me so far. Have a 1987 4.6 I removed the entire outdrive as the dog clutch was about to go and installed another lower unit, have all new gaskets and O-rings, bellows, etc. What I need to know is, is there an easy way to check the shift cable for adjustment to make sure it is correct since I have all this off? I looked at the Stuart web site and can't make it out. The cable is only about 7 months old and shifts easy as it was replaced with the new engine so it is fine. The shift rod, I seen to measure it 7" and something?? , but measure where from to where to? Also seen a threaded end on the cable, this one is tighentend up all the way on my outdrive? Thanks!"

"Never mind! Don't know wh

"Never mind! Don't know why the computer I was using would not show any pictures when I clicked the links on the stuart web site, got on my older pc today and there they were! Got outdrive fixed, cable adjusted, works great out of the water, hope I have the same results in the water. Bob, by the way, with new 21 pitch prop you recomended a while back, ran right at 50mph on gps! Saves gas just like you said it would and no noticable drop in take off speed. Not bad I guess for a 19' 87 Stingray 4.3 Thanks! Steve"

"Steve W, Glad you had good lu

"Steve W, Glad you had good luck with a 21 pitch 'cause I was thinking of changing to 21 from 19 just for fuel economy and generally more bang for the buck. I have a 19' bowrider that weighs 2800 lbs. dry. Dave M."

Back